Praying for others?

by pixel 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pixel
    pixel

I’m looking for an article, from The Watchtower, where it says that we should not pray for other members from the stage. Does anyone remember an article saying this?

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I remember an article from 2014, 2015 saying not to pray for disfellowshipped persons.

• carla
    carla

What on earth would the reasoning be for not praying for somebody? What do jw's do with the following scriptures?

Matthew 5:44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Proverbs 25:21
    If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.

Luke 6:27
    But to those of you who will listen, I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Ignore them I guess, heh.

• contramundum
    contramundum

I vaguely remember something along the lines of not mentioning individual witnesses' names when praying publicly on behalf of the congregation. There was a time when brothers would include the names of members who were sick, however I think they put a stop to this. I cannot imagine what scriptural precedent they came up with for this change.

• minimus
    minimus

Isn’t that something? Don’t pray for Sister Jones who is dying of cancer in the hospital. Yes I’m convinced these people suck!

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Was it this one? w09 11/15 pp. 3-7

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Is this it 'Lost in the fog'?

18. What are some points that brothers should keep in mind when representing a congregation in public prayer?

18 At our meetings, loyal men represent the congregation in public prayer. (1 Tim. 2:8) Fellow believers should be able to say “amen,” meaning “so be it,” at the end of such a prayer. To do so, however, they must agree with what was said. There is nothing shocking or tactless about Jesus’ model prayer. (Luke 11:2-4) Moreover, he did not itemize all the needs or problems of each person in his audience. Personal concerns are suitable subjects for private, not public, prayer. And when representing a group in prayer, we should refrain from including confidential matters.

jtg

• Splash
    Splash

And yet it’s so much easier to pray for someone than actually help them out. You know, like friends or Christians would do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit