Bethel layoffs of oldies

by I am a Bible Student 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• I am a Bible Student
    I am a Bible Student

Is this true? Has anyone heard of it? Saw it on my facebook.

"JAN. 6 BETHEL UPDATE 108 ELDERLY BETHELITES GETTING THE BOOT.

Brooklyn, NY. A Bethel insider reports a closed meeting was held at the World Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses last night and announced the releasing of 108 elderly Bethelites. Many of these longtime, full-time volunteer workers who committed their lives to"Jehovah's Organization" may be facing homelessness. Most of these Older Jehovah's Witnesses are of the "Anointed Class".
    It was suggested in this meeting that the elderly Witnesses may be able to get help and support from the congregations in their hometowns. Many of the older ones were never on Social Security and are being encouraged to apply for Social Security Disability."

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    I doubt it
  • Listener
    Listener

I don't know if it is true or not.

If there was a closed meeting and then an announcement that 108 elderly Bethelites were released why would they do that? Surely they would tell those affected first otherwise ever older Bethelite would be anxious. How would they even define who was elderly and why would they single them out in a special announcement?

If most of these elderly are of the anointed class then they would most likely be from the pre 1935 era when all baptized ones were considered anointed. That would make them over 90 years old. Unless, of course, the feeling you are anointed is one of the inflictions that befalls Bethelites. There would be plenty of Bethelites in the 65 to 90 year age range, why wouldn't they have been included in this announcement?

If these elderly ones have been entitled to Social Security Disability, why wouldn't they have already been claiming it whilst at Bethel? If the Government is prepared to give you money that you are entitled to then why wouldn't you claim it? If they didn't want it personally because the org was providing them with enough then they could have given it to the org.

• Simple Minds
    Simple Minds
    So sad if it is true, do's the .org realize a society is judged by how they treat there elderly.
  • TTATT_Paladin
    TTATT_Paladin
    Bethel, I would imagine, discouraged them from filing Social Security until they were done with them. It cuts down on paperwork, confusion, etc. Imagine Bethel being considered a retirement home by the government.
  • LaFrancia
    LaFrancia

Yes it's true. Also In Italy

many brothers who have left the bethel are elderly 50/60 and .......

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    Sounds like a Johnny to me.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I'll wait to see but just from the sound of it, it feels and sounds far fetched.
  • freddo
    freddo

In UK they are definitely laying off those in their late 30's through late 50's and some of whom have given 10, 20, 30 years of Bethel service. Absolute definite FACT.

I have been told at least four of them are moving to two struggling congregations in our circuit (these are Elder plus wife couples) in February.

Really old ones - 70 plus I have not heard of. I don't think I know of any in their 60's either.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I've know of 2 couples in their late 50's and 1 couple if their late 40's and 1 couple in late 30s that were let go from the canadian bethel. So maybe its true!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit