An Old-Fashioned 4th of July

by cruzanheart 2 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

The City of Murphy dedicated their newest park, which is about two blocks from our house right behind the elementary school, this past Saturday. They had a dedication ceremony and party afterward, called it an early 4th of July celebration, and it was wonderful! There's an old-fashioned bandstand in the middle of the park, and the City Council did a presentation, then the local Boy Scout troop had a flag ceremony, complete with "Taps" for fallen veterans. The local vets were introduced, and then the fun and games began. Everyone got coupons for a free hot dog, bag of chips, watermelon, popcorn and cotton candy. There were two bounce houses, trinkets from the Animal Control people, water and soft drinks from the Murphy Women's Club, a dunking booth with the City Council members as targets, fire truck tours, etc., etc., etc.

I thought it was really cool, kind of a throwback to the old OLD days when the bandstand in the city park was a summer gathering place. I do hope the neighborhood stays this nice. And it felt great to take part and feel like a part of the celebration instead of feeling compelled to stay away or guilty for attending.

And now on to the REAL 4th of July party at Jade's house!!!

Nina

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

yeah we always had the district convention during that weekend and i would get introuble from looking out the hotel windows and watching the displays lol. last forth i was at a bookstudy i belive or maybe it was sept 11 festival they had, my memory sucks lol. but it started just as the bookstudy did and i sooooooo wanted to go out casue the hall was shakin. finally it was over and i had to pretend not to be in a hurry to leave lol went out behind the hall and sat in my car and watched it....................... i love them dang things lol there cool as heck. now if i only had a beer or three lol. unfortunately in half an hour it was all over but theres always this year :D

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I really love old fashion 4th of July's.... I'm looking forward to this friday's celebration.

By the way WELCOME Primitivegenius!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit