Rutherford's "CHILDREN" Book and Lost Lives

by IslandWoman 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

In 1941 the Society released the book "Children" written by J.F. Rutherford. The release of this book at the St. Louis, Missouri Convention is described in the Proclaimers book on page 86:

A touching scene at the convention came on Sunday, August 10, which was "Children's Day." When the morning session opened, 15,000 children -between 5 and 18 years of age- were assembled in the main arena directly in front of the platform and in a place similarly set aside at a trailer city where an overflow crowd listened. As Brother Rutherford, then in his early 70's, stepped onto the platform, the children cheered and applauded. He waved his handkerchief, and the children waved back. Then, in a clear, kind voice, he addressed the entire audience on the theme "Children of the King." After talking for over an hour to the audience in general, he directed his remarks to the children seated in the reserved sections.
    "All of you ...children," he said, fixing his attention on the young beaming faces before him, "who have agreed to do the will of God and have taken your stand on the side of his Theocratic Government by Christ Jesus and who have agreed to obey God and his King, please stand up." The children rose as one body. "Behold," exclaimed the enthusiastic speaker, "more that 15,000 new witnesses to the Kingdom!" There was a burst of applause. "All of you who will do what you can to tell others about God's kingdom and its attending blessings, please say Aye." A thunderous cry, "Aye!"
    To climax it all, Brother Rutherford announced the release of the new book Children, which was received with shouts of joy and tremendous applause. Afterward, the speaker, a tall man, shared in distributing free copies of the book as a long line of children walked up on the platform and filed past him. Many wept at the sight.

"Many wept at the sight", and many I am sure continued weeping for some years afterward because this Children book had a time bomb contained in the last few pages.

The book starts by introducing two fictional families the Aldens and the Rogers, neighbors. The principal characters in the book are young John Alden, 20 years old, and Eunice Rogers, 18. Early in the book while sitting under a "great oak" they get engaged and also agree to study the Bible using some Bible study aids, you know the ones! lol

The rest of the book could be entitled, "The Bible According to Rutherford." But the end is the kicker.

Several months have passed, John and Eunice have finished their Bible study and are again sitting beneath that "great oak" where they had agreed to marry. Eunice expresses appreciation for their studies and the knowledge they have gained about the "prospect of life everlasting upon the earth....The earth is now beautiful, but that beauty is nothing to compare with the glory and beauty that shall be upon the whole earth during the reign of Christ the King."

John answers, "How true are your words, Eunice. We have walked through these broad fields many times, during our childhood days. But today these fields mean much more to us than ever before. They belong to the Lord, and He will beautify them for his children. Armageddon is surely near, and during that time the Lord will clean off the earth everything that offends and is disagreeable. Then, by His grace, we shall begin our life with a greater vision and prolonged joy. Now we see by faith the great THEOCRACY, and we are wholly and unreservedly committed to that righteous government. From now on we shall have our heart devotion fixed on THE THEOCRACY, knowing that soon we shall journey for ever together in the earth. Our hope is that within a few years our marriage may be consummated and, by the Lord's grace, we shall have sweet children that will be an honor to the Lord. We can well defer our marriage until lasting peace comes to the earth. Now we must add nothing to our burdens, but be free and equipped to serve the Lord. When THE THEOCRACY is in full sway it will not be burdensome to have a family.....

"We shall, by God's grace, be forever the children of the great King, and our children shall be forever with us, subjects of the Kingdom. We have found refuge in Christ, and we shall abide here until the blessed time when we may have part in fulfilling the divine mandate. We shall not see each other very often for a time, but we can have like thoughts every day of the glorious prospect that is set before us. I suggest that our first thought on awakening each morning be expressed by repeating these words of the psalmist: 'Bless the Lord, O my soul:and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.

(book's last paragragh)

"To this young man and young woman all the environments now appeared more beautiful. The birds in the trees seemed to be singing the praises of Jehovah and His King. So, hand in hand, they joined their voices with them in song and gave thanks to God for His manifold blessings bestowed upon them."

IW's 2003 addendum to Rutherford's CHILDREN book.

"So John and Eunice departed from each other knowing they soon would be united as man and wife. John applied to serve at the world headquarters of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in Brooklyn, New York. Eunice stayed at home and served full time witnessing to others about the coming end.

"A couple of years went by, many letters were exchanged and from time to time John and Eunice visited each other when finances permitted. The war ended, John tried to get Eunice into Bethel so they could marry but he was told married couples are not allowed in Bethel, John stayed believing that a change in the marriage policy would soon come. But two years later Eunice was killed in a train accident and in his grief John knew that their hopes of marriage were forever dashed because the resurrected do not marry.

"John remains at Bethel to this day. He is now 82 years old and sometimes wonders what his life would have been like if he and Eunice had not read the Watchtower's Bible study aids all those long years ago"

Though John and Eunice are fictional their plight was very real. Many young brothers and sisters remained single, trusting in the Watchtower and its false hopes until they found themselves too old to marry or to leave Bethel. Some of them are still at the Brooklyn headquarters, others in congregations scattered around the globe.

The Watchtower continues to publish it's propaganda, though not discouraging marriage as much as they did in the days of "John and Eunice", full time dedication to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is still a living mandate.

First scripture on the Title page of the CHILDREN book:

"Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the Lord."

IW

• ballistic
    ballistic

"lost lives" - in the past on this web site, I have expressed anger at time lost to the society. But I take courage from people who spent their whole life and realised in their last days that it was wrong, and somehow still live happy and whether religous or not, take something with them from the experience.

• minimus
    minimus

We know that the Society has also said that breaking off an engagement is a very serious matter. Shame on them for trivializing marriage, although 18's too young, imo. In the mid 80's I remember a WT. pretty much expressing the same idea.

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

I have a family member who was there at the St Louis convention when the book was released. I can remember her telling the story many times. For her it did not stop her from getting married and her and her husband entered the missionary work for several years until they had a child and were sent home. Where is she today? DEAD!

And what is most sad, is the fact that the WTS prints these historical moments as something they are proud of, when they should be emarrased and appologize for these blunders.

• metatron
    metatron

I knew several people that were influenced by this false prophetic guidance. Old guys at Bethel with no wife or kids,

living in a little room with some 'new boy'. Pioneers that spent a whole life peddling magazines and books, year after

year.

You really wonder why some C.O.'s wife doesn't suddenly flip out and start screaming - or why so many Witnesses

are so able to focus the depression and anger back on themselves instead of where it belongs - The Society.

metatron

• greven
    greven

Can you imagine that these children that received this 'gift' had to spend six hours peddling them to others. Parents were counseled to encourage their offspring to do this very fact 'if they would have them live' !!!

***w41 9/15 288 (not on CD-ROM) ***

When you see Daniel, David, Moses and all the prophets, listen to what they have to say, and they will properly advise you boys and girls. I am going to have handed to everyone of you 15.000 children one of these books as a gracious gift. I ask that you fist study it faithfully. Ask someone else to sit with you under the shade of a tree and study that which leads to life and endless blessings … It is between now and before the day school opens to spend six hours a day in taking the book Children to others. The parents should encourage their children to do this very thing, if they would have them live. Cartons of Children that had been deposited in The Arena were now opened, and Judge Rutherford instructed the children how to come and each get a copy thereof, those in the rear half of The Arena marching in two columns out through a side exit, and those in the front half of The Arena marching up over the platform and out through a rear exit. As the march began, the orchestra (minus all its children instrumentalists) struck up and rendered songs, "Children of the Heavenly King", "The Sword of the Lord and of Gideon", and "Who Is on the Lord’s Side?" while the vast audience sang. Never was there a more moving sight in these "Last Days". Many, including strong men, wept at the demonstration. Receiving the gift, the marching children clasped it to them, not a toy or plaything for idle pleasure, but the Lord’s provided instrument for the most effective work in the remaining months before Armegeddon. What a gift! And to so many! The manner of releasing the new book Children was an outright surprise to all, but the almighty hand of the All-wise One, Jehovah, was in it, and the maneuver was most blessed indeed.

*Puke*

Greven

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

in the remaining months before Armegeddon

This was released in 1941? There have been, like 750 months since then...

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

What a shame makes me sick.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

We recently moved to another house, previously occupied by a witness relative and his wife. Before we moved I found a box full of old wt books which I thought we had tossed and when we got to the new house we found a bunch in the garage, among them the above mentioned childrens book. What a load of BS. The whole emphasis has always been on selling books and magazines and boy, was Rutherford good at it. I wonder how many gave up marriage and family in order to follow this false dream.

Does anyone have any idea what this book might be worth on ebay ? Don't really wish to sell it, instead I'll keep it to show anyone who pushes me to go back to the the dubs just how long they have been pushing the false premise of the end coming "soon". Couple this with some of the things that were published prior to 1975 and I think I can have some fun with these clowns. Bug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit