The Watchtower Society and the Bulgarian connection - hypocrisy in action?

by joe_from_kokomo 5 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

Friends:
    I was shocked to learn yet again of more hypocrisy on the part of the WTS with regard to human rights agreements in Bulgaria. From what I have learned from a July 2000 article on the UK Guardian newspaper Web site and from subsequent info found on the Association of JWs for Reform on Blood web site,
    the Watchtower at first perjured itself before the UN Comission of Human Rights
    (see online article http://www.ajwrb.org/basics/perjury.shtml) and then struck up an agreement with Bulgaria (http://www.ajwrb.org/basics/abandon.shtml)
    that permits Bulgarians to have blood transfusions by choice of their own conscience, without fear of repurcussions from the Society. A simply amazing exception!

But, I did not just utilize these two sources- I like to see things and prove them for myself- as no doubt many of you do, too. I searched ECHR Web site, (http://www.coe.int/DefaultEN.asp) and found other interesting info. I recommend that you do, too, if you are so inclined...

Here's one excerpt I found where a Bulgarian JW was permitted to do ALTERNATIVE SERVICE. Seems like no big deal, right? Wrong. Read Ray Franz's books and you will realize that many brothers died or were imprisoned rather than permit themselves to be subjected to Alternative Civilian Service in lieu of Military Service. Meanwhile, hypocrisy reigned in Mexico, where brothers WERE allowed by the WTS to do a form of alternative service. Brothers outside Mexico who performed Alternative Service in lieu of Military Service were usually DISFELLOWSHIPPED.

Yet, look at this recent (2001) example of yet another Bulgarian exception to the rule: (This is an exact word-for-word copy, with the link attached, in case you want to check it out for yourself):

Excerpt from the European Court of Human Rights Archives
    available online: http://www.echr.coe.int/Eng/InformationNotes/INFONOTE%20No%2030.htm
    ================================================================================

INFORMATION NOTE No. 30

on the case-law of the Court

May 2001

The summaries are prepared by the Registry and are not binding on the Court.

FREEDOM OF RELIGION

Conviction of Jehovah's Witness for refusing to do military service: friendly settlement.

STEFANOV - Bulgaria

(NÂș 32438/96)

Judgment 3.5.2001 [Section IV]

The applicant, a Jehovah's Witness, refused on conscientious grounds to perform military service. He was sentenced to one and a half year's imprisonment in 1995. On appeal, the sentence was suspended for three years. The applicant's petition for review was dismissed by the Supreme Court in November 1996. The applicant considered that his conviction was unlawful, since the 1991 Constitution provided that the conditions and procedure for exemption from military service or for its replacement by substitute service should be regulated by Act of Parliament. An Act regulating substitute service came into force on 1 January 1999.

The parties have reached a friendly settlement on the following basis:

a) all criminal proceedings and judicial sentences in Bulgaria of Bulgaria citizens since 1991 (especially but not limited to the applicant and three applicants in other cases for refusing military service by virtue of their individual conscientious objection but who were willing at the same time to perform alternative civilian service shall be dismissed and all penalties and/or disabilities heretofore imposed in these cases shall be eliminated as if there was never a conviction for a violation of the law, thus the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria undertakes the responsibility to introduce draft legislation before the National Assembly for a total amnesty for these cases;

b) That the alternative civilian service in Bulgaria is performed under a purely civilian administration and the military authority is not involved in civilian service and such service shall be similar in duration to that required for military service by the law on military service then in force;

c) That conscientious objectors have the same rights as all Bulgarian citizens to manifest their beliefs whether alone or in union with others after hours and on days off during the term of performing said civilian service without prejudice, sanction or another disability or impediment. (see ... Kokkinakis v. Greece [judgment] ), ...

e) That the respondent Government will pay ... [to the applicant] the sum of 2,500 Bulgarian levs ... for costs and expenses;

f) The applicant[ ]..., having the Bulgarian Government fully complying with the conditions listed above on points a, b, c, ... and e, agree to withdraw [his] petition[...] against Bulgaria, filed with the European Court of Human Rights."

END OF EXCERPT

===================================================================

I also found references to back up what was declared in the UK Guardian article and reproduced on the AWJRB site, namely this paragraph that states:

In recent years some progress has been achieved in guaranteeing religious freedoms. It is evident in the application of the principle of separation of religions from the state, their equal standing before the law, the principle of non-interference in the internal affairs of religious faiths, observed in recent years, and the right to a free choice of religion. This position of the Bulgarian state became expressly evident, when the State resorted to the European Convention on the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, in order to find mechanisms to resolve disputes. As a result, two friendly agreements were signed with the "Jehovah Witnesses".

One of the above "agreements" is reproduced on the AWJRB site, and while I did not find the specific link to it on the ECHR site, it does appear to be in the same format as other postings that I did verify. This agreement, which grants Bulgarians the ability to choose a blood transfusion, is found online here:

http://www.ajwrb.org/bulgaria/report.shtml

I guess the Bethel brothers of the Faithful and Discreet Slave Class have no problem with "two sets of scales" by which they can judge their brothers. I find it the most disgusting form of hypocrisy...

Your comments? Do you have additional info or links on the Bulgarian connection?

• Hamas
    Hamas

No additional comments, you have said it all my friend.

The more I learn about the Watchtower and the hypocrisy the follows it, the more the element of suprise goes out the window.

They really are a bunch of sad con merchants. Destroy them.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

As far as altnerative service... I'm afraid you're a little behind the curve, Joe. The Watchtower "legalized" alternative service back in '96.

As far as blood... I guess that explains why they changed it to be handled by disassociation, rather than disfellowshipping. They can thus claim that there aren't any sanctions... that rather, the individual voltunarily withdrew. It's a ridiculous distinction of semantics, but somehow the governments seem to swallow it.

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

OK, OK. I'm 151 years old and have a little short term memory loss, what can I say. The real issue here is that there are two standards for Bulgaria for the blood transfusion issue- which affects the lives of little children and adults, too. What may be more tragic, is that this may all be just a ruse, and the same-old-tired transfusion policy may actually be in effect in reality, and the ECHR and Bulgarian government may be getting duped as part of some wacked-out theocratic warfare strategy.

Double speak, as Orwell would call it...

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    What may be more tragic, is that this may all be just a ruse, and the same-old-tired transfusion policy may actually be in effect in reality, and the ECHR and Bulgarian government may be getting duped as part of some wacked-out theocratic warfare strategy.

IMHO, that's exactly what's going on.

Double speak, as Orwell would call it...

Every prominent Dub I know is a master at it.

• tazmaniac
    tazmaniac

Alternative service issues affected many brothers for years. I know of one brother in my old congregation who was practically shunned for ages for opting to perform alternative service during the vietnam war. He was practically shoved out of the congregation. He was eventually DF'ed for immorality many years later but the attitude was....well thats what ya get for doing alternative service. During his reinstatement the issue of alternative service was brought up. I always felt bad about the harsh treatment he recieved for years and years. If it happened now it would be "no problem". I wonder how many more were subjected to this and more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit