What do you think the Australian Government will do?

by Richard Oliver 47 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

landy there is a case being fought here in the UK - the charity commission against the Moston congregation who brought adult victims (who were pursuing that the perp be disfellowshipped) face to face with the perp and only then was he disfellowshipped. when they were brought face to face with him the vicitms were able to question him and show up very clearly that he had been lying to the elders.

• Landy
    Landy
    Landy there is a case being fought here in the UK - the charity commission against the Moston congregation who brought adult victims (who were pursuing that the perp be disfellowshipped) face to face with the perp and only then was he disfellowshipped. when they were brought face to face with him the vicitms were able to question him and show up very clearly that he had been lying to the elders.

Sounds about right for a kangaroo JC, but there was a time, years ago, when they would have a child victim in the same room as the accused. I don't (I hope) think that happens any more.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

I was thinking again, why doesn't the police just go and arrest the brothers that know about these cases as accessories to the crime...we all watch Law and Order, when the want the big boy, they arrest the little boys...

Or am I'm in la la land....

They know the org. has knowledge of these crimes....so just bring them in.....they are so big on persecution, do a drag net of brothers...the media will take pix but the headline won't be....JW persecuted for neutrality, or won't denounce their faith...no that won't be the headline....We all know what it would say...JW's in dragnet arrest for knowing of crimes ......then it'll be explained...

Don't know how the friends gonna stick their heads in the sand after that....

Tor

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Landy , they have had new guidance since 2017 but the ARC are right to highlight that only the elders are privy to the fact that bringing victims face face with perps will no longer happen.

I can't say for sure if this was still being done - I'd assume that it was as the child's testimony against an adult is very mistrusted generally but I don't know for sure. Perhaps this is what the charity commission is working on with Jehovahs witnesses - keeping them on their toes re this issue.

tor, I don't think child sexual abuse is as common within Jehovahs witnesses as in other organisations. there is less opportunity for a starter cos they don't bring children into sole contact with adults as in schools and such like. secondly parents keep a watchful eye on their children. at the moment Jehovahs witness parents are almost maniacal in their vigilance re this issue.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    Richard Oliver
    I am not wanting to start a fight. I just want to hear what people think. Honestly and realistically, what do you think the Australian Government will do, with Watchtower, when they receive the full ARC report?
    I am looking for realistic expressions, this is when you consider section 51 and 116 of the Commonwealth's Constitution.

Section 51 of the Australian Constitution deals with native Australians and "inferior people" and the power to make special laws governing them. I take it that you are not referring to the Watchtower leaders as native Australians but rather "inferior people".

Section 116, religion, in its broad application applies directly to individual persons. Watchtower is not a person and is not a religion. It is a corporation. As such it would be best to read the Australian Corporations Act 2001 ("the Act") which applies to Watchtower, its directors and officers.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca2001172/

I recommend you, and all Watchtower directors and lawyers, read "CHAPTER 2D--Officers and employees PART 2D.1--DUTIES AND POWERS" within the Act as it explains liability for any wrongful behaviour of Watchtower Australia, its Service Department and Legal Department.

Hope this helps.

• Landy
    Landy
    Landy , they have had new guidance since 2017 but the ARC are right to highlight that only the elders are privy to the fact that bringing victims face face with perps will no longer happen.

Thanks Ruby. I'm pretty out of touch now so not really up on their current procedures. That said. Afaik, their safeguarding policies aren't a matter of public record - which is the problem....

• honest
    honest

Senator nick xenophon is trying to get changes to the charitable status and tax exemptions on organisations that use captive methods and punish ex members, Jehovahs witnesses fall into this category. They won't be banned but they Will most likely lose all tax exemptions and charitable status. That my friend is fantastic if this happens.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

freedom of religion is enshrined in Australian law and this freedom doesn't only apply to individuals' exercise of freedom of religion but also to the whole religion.

there is absolutely no way that senator xenophon can get changes made to the charitable status of Jehovahs witnesses - I mean does he intend Australia to become like Russia?

He may have Islam as his target but even here it is impossible.

edit: even in times of world war it is difficult

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/cth/high_ct/67clr116.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=Adelaide%20Company%20of%20Jehovah%27s%20Witnesses

• Tantalon
    Tantalon

Firstly this is an inquiry into Institutional Responses to child abuse, it covered many institutions; some secular, some sporting bodies, some schools and of course a number of religions, one of which was JWs. It has the power to report to law enforcement authorities and has already done so in the matter of about 500 allegations gleaned from JW files submitted to the commission. They have also reported JWs in NSW for "concealment" matters. Opening Poster should do some research on his own. All this is available by reading the ARC's website. It is an extremely transparent process.

The commission can/has made recommendations to governments both State and Federal regarding future unity in mandatory reporting regimes of different States and the establishment of redress schemes for the aid of victims. It has made recommendations to each organisation about how to proceed with improvements and asks for feedback for the good of all. Who has been the most stubborn and least remorseful? And most others have offered unreserved apologies! Not the JWs

Really in this day what organisation does not have someone on the payroll who can formulate a policy on any given subject? Especially one which boasts a legal department. Just hire a consultant, it is not that hard. Hell I have done it and I am no scholar.

None so blind as those who choose to be. I certainly hope they revisit the Watchtower before this is over.

• honest
    honest

Ruby nick xenophon isn't interested in banning any religious movement, but he is trying to get the charitable status and tax exemptions to have tougher requirements which he can do.

How does this become like Russia? Jehovahs witnesses will still be able to freely preach and congregate, they just won't be recognised as a charity. We know that they never were a charity anyway.

Stripping a organisation that is not a charity of their charity status is not the same as banning a religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit