I'll Never Pinch You Again!

by patio34 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• patio34
    patio34

You may be wondering about that subject line . . . here's the rationale:

The other day, without thinking, I flicked my 4-yr-old grandson on the cheek playing around. Well, it stung him and he complained loudly! I said "I'll never flick you again."

I then thought that that didn't mean much, as I could pinch him or other such things.

Then I thought about (and this is the point finally!) the promise to Noah in the Bible when God said i'll never destroy every living thing in a flood again.

Well, what comfort is that? No flood, but the whole earth could be 'burned up.' Rest assured there will be a destruction, according to the Bible, but take comfort it won't be from a flood?

So of what value was that promise to Noah? I know I felt duplicitous to my grandson by saying I'd never flick him again, but everything else would be fair game, figuratively speaking.

That promise meant nothing at all. To belabor the point: A conquering soldier telling a victim, we promise we will not hang you. But come to find out, they have firing squads at the ready. What's the point of the promise not to hang them.

Any rebuttals? Comments? Opinions?

Patio

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Sheesh. One more page I have to tear out of my bible!

Interesting take on it patio. I had never thought of that, but it is so true. How is armageddon different from the flood? More people saved? Sure. But many, many more killed as well.

• crossroads
    crossroads

First of all you may pinch me anytime you'd like.

Interesting passage-Genesis 8:21
    Then the Lord said in His--------HEART,
    "I will never again curse the ground for MAN'S SAKE,
    although the imagination of man's heart IS EVIL from
    his youth: nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.

I have gone round and round on this.
    First HE says he will not curse the ground on account
    of us EVIL creatures. So no destruction on account of us.
    Goes on to say nor will I again destroy EVERY LIVING THING
    as I have done. What exactly does HE mean by that.
    All living things include PLANTS doesn't it-they do live and
    with out them we die.

The rainbow covenant comes later chapter 9. Is between
    Himself and Living creatures not all living things.

Well it's good to know that all living creatures can't blame
    US for the coming holucoust. And I suppose not everything
    will die after all Roaches will always live.
    Lets all bow and pray and thank HIM for not killing every-
    thing off.
    Strange thing I believe in JESUS- but this GOD of the old
    testament I just can't get a hold of.

Random weird thought- What if SATAN penned the bible
    Is there a better way to mislead all of mankind.
    Or a least split it up between believers and non-believers
    so well the fighting well never stop.
    And the GAME continues................................

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

>>>So of what value was that promise to Noah?<<<

You're serious about that question? To Noah that meant EVERYTHING. He just worked his butt off building a boat to carry a boat load of animals. He is cooped up on that "boat" for almost a year with 40 days of rain, and the rest of the time just floating around probably thinking God forgot about him/them. I'm sure the work load on the ark was no party with all those animals. To Noah, it was a huge bit of knowledge and relief. Noah also could figure by God's comment:

Gen 9:1
    9:1 Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth.

That the earth wouldn't get slapped, flicked or pinched anytime soon either because he had to refill what was just emptied.

To Noah, that promise was a great relief. For us, it means the waters stay where they are during God's day.

My understanding.

pomegranate

• patio34
    patio34

Pomegranate, You're right: it meant everything to Noah. But doesn't mean anything for the rest of his descendants as far as destruction goes. So, that is a good answer. It had meaning for that 'generation,' if you will. It basically means Noah didn't have to make a career of ship-building.
    Thanks (yes, I was serious about the question!). But, I still think the statement was ambiguous and misleading, because God would have known he would use other means of destroying mankind.
    Crossroads, that Bible reasoning does seem off. And, it provides no comfort for anyone but Noah and the living stuff back then.

SixofNine, Good to hear from you!

Glad that's all cleared (?) up--as they say 'clear as mud.'

Patio

• Carmel
    Carmel

hey wait a minute! Noah learns a perfectly good trade by taking directions straight from the "head shed" then gets told that he won't need to keep lofting, calking and then shoveling elephant dung? I think the "promise" was a shitty trick. Now Noah has to go to Transylvania Horticultural Tech and learn how to grow maize. Course he gets sloppy drunk first and . . .you know the rest.

i don't think he was too thrilled about Jaw changing the economy on him just as he got his sea legs!

caeman

• patio34
    patio34

Carmel,

That's right! Not fair!

Btw, why are you and my sister, the Empress, so ROOD to 'chother?

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit