Through legalism, has the WTBT$ and their followers lost their moral compass?

by LarryCope 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• LarryCope
    LarryCope

In December, I lunched with someone who was at one time quite close and is still a JW. The topic of the ARC ( Australian Royal Commission ) and pedophilia came up. The two things that was immediately voiced by this person was the two witness rule and that it was homosexuals molesting Witness boys parroting the plastic faced Stephen Lett.

This person is not online and has not seen the ARC videos or know anything about the Silent Lambs movement. So, I first pointed out that the cases ( 1066 ) were a majority of elders, ms, trusted men and step fathers molesting young girls. It is not that men didn't molest boys, but that the largest percentage was as described. Further, men who molest boys fall into an entirely different category from gay men.

What surprised me was the insistence on the two witness rule, though. This person has no children of their own, but has nieces and nephews and, now, great nieces and nephews. If one of those had been molested, I could see this individual becoming downright furious which is understandable. To see this old friend of mine sit calmly and repeat the kool aid laden dogma astonished me! Maybe I never saw it years and years ago, but how unloving, uncaring and what a lack of moral compass! Through it's legalism, has the WTBT$ and it's automatons lost their moral compass?

• cofty
    cofty

JWs focus on relatively trivial displays of good behavior, sexual repression and politeness and confuse that with morality.

In things that really matter they betray a woeful lack of genuine ethics.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

They never had a moral compass Larry, they just followed a three thousand year old book. No attempt to work out what is right and wrong, what will bring the most happiness and prevent the most harm. Just strictly abide by ancient rules made by people who viewed women and children as property.

• schnell
    schnell
    I stopped asking witnesses about their thoughts on the two witness rule because I was sick of being sickened by them.
  • DJS
    DJS

They had a moral compass?

• Chook
    Chook

The problem with WT compass is the magnetic field in Tony Morris head.

• never a jw
    never a jw

JWs focus on relatively trivial displays of good behavior, sexual repression and politeness and confuse that with morality.

Thank you Cofty. You effortlessly described JW morality to a T.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit