Good standing

by Jrjw 6 Replies latest social relationships

• Jrjw
    Jrjw

Hi does anyone know why you're classed as not in good standing if youve separated when you aren't breaking a commandment by being separated

1 cor 7:11 - But if she does separate, let her remain unmarried or else be reconciled with her husband; and a husband should not leave his wife.

• knowsnothing1
    knowsnothing1

The organization has extra biblical rules it piles on to its adherents.

For example, where in the Bible does it say you have to have a certain number of hours in field service to qualify as a ministerial servant? There are many more examples.

• sir82
    sir82

In JW-world, you only have 3 "legitimate" reasons to separate.

The elders, and no one else, decide if your separation meets one of those 3 criteria.

If they determine that it does, you are in "good standing". If they determine that it does not, then you are not in "good standing".

From the August 2016 "Study Edition" Watchtower, page 16 (I added the numbers to make the "magic 3" reasons stand out):

Separation might at times be justified. (1) Willful nonsupport, (2) extreme physical abuse, and (3) the absolute endangerment of one’s spiritual life are exceptional situations that some have viewed as reasons for separation.

I.e. it is up to the elders to determine if non-support is "willful", or if the physical abuse is "extreme", or if the endangerment is "absolute".

Evidently, beating your wife is OK so long as it is not too "extreme", in the opinion of the elders.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Answer = because in the eyes of the WTS your not showing a good example for the organization.

Being separated from your wife means you are not upholding bible standards.

• Jrjw
    Jrjw

Its ridiculous when i was mentally and emotionally abused by him and made ill coz of it

• sir82
    sir82

Its ridiculous when i was mentally and emotionally abused by him and made ill coz of it

I know, and I sympathize.

But if you happen to be in a congregation where the elders are tolerant of such behavior, you are "stuck".

Any chance of relocating to a different congregation? Maybe different elders would reach a different conclusion about your situation.

• contramundum
    contramundum

I left my husband for a legitimate scriptural reason and a few months later my application to auxiliary pioneer was turned down by the body of elders because some in the congregation were apparently stumbled that I had previously been 'allowed' to auxiliary pioneer.

Shortly afterwards, two older sisters (in their '60s) in the same congregation left their husbands with no official scriptural basis for the separation. They both auxiliary pioneered, one even having a meeting for field service in her house, and experienced no censure or repercussions because of their personal situation.

I guess it just comes down to the whims of the elders and how loudly the gossips shout

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit