Strange Terms

by Disheartened 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Disheartened
    Disheartened

Is it just me or does anyone else find the terms that the wt society use as strange and unusual? I mean where the heck do they come up with these terms??? Example:

1. ministerial "servant"
    2. literature "servant"
    3. territory "servant"
    4. presiding overseer

You get the idea. What's the deal with that?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

double think

make em think/believe one thing and give them another

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

They do use strange terms. When I tell "worldly" people about JWs I have to translate everything into non-cult language. Some of the terms aren't strange, but their meanings within the WTBTS are so different from their meanings in the real world that it is difficult for outsiders to understand.

• blondie
    blondie

Here's a dictionary of JW "theocratic" terms

http://bookshelf.info/wordlists/e/eec/www/

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Servant is actually a literal translation of the greek diakonos, origin of the English word 'deacon.' Overseer is a very legitimate--probably the most accurate, in fact--translation of the greek episkopos, origin of the English 'bishop'.

The word 'bishop' implies a clergyman who has oversight over several congregations, so I think that the WTS is fully justified in not using it to refer to their elders. The term 'deacon', however, describes exactly the same thing as 'ministerial servant.' I think that the only reason the WTS doesn't use it is because they want to seem different from other Christian religions. (The term 'deacon' was used back in Russell's day, btw. It was eliminated at the same time that Rutherford got rid of the elders.)

• Disheartened
    Disheartened

Thanks, Euphemism. I never knew the word servant actually translated into deacon. Very interesting. I still think "servant" sounds strange but it's interesting to know where it originates from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit