demonism or schizophrenia?

by SpiceItUp 5 Replies latest watchtower medical

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

I was talking to my mom the other day and this subject came up. She was telling me that she believed in demons/spirits because she studied with a "possessed" woman. She was telling me of those experiences. She also stated that the woman informed her she used to be in a "satanic" cult. I told her that most (if not all) the "unexplainable" things the woman did could be easily reasoned with a person that has schizophrenia. The cult story could be used as a way of telling she was abused. My mom listened and I think most registered.

I personally have known a schizophrenic person. During most of my involvement with them it was unbeknowst to me and I thought they had serious personality flaws and were just not a nice person. I was informed later about the real reason this person had so many psychotic episodes. I felt bad that I had not given as much support as I maybe should have but then again I had never delt with such a thing. To inform yourself gives the advantage. If I had known I would have encouraged this person to take meds and get help. Unfortuantely its out of my hands and as far as I know they still are not on meds or getting any help. It saddens me that at some point I might hve been able to help them.

I see the similarities in that this person told wild stories of things they saw. Things you would think if a dub heard they would automatically assume "possession".

Anyway I found this link and highlighted some of what I saw first hand in bold.

http://www.psychiatry24x7.com/bgdisplay.jhtml?itemname=nonprofbackschiz010&s=1

Symptoms of schizophrenia

Contrary to popular belief, schizophrenia is not a 'split personality'. However, people with schizophrenia may have perceptions of reality that are extremely different from that shared by others around them. They often suffer terrifying symptoms such as hearing internal voices not heard by others, or believing that other people are reading their minds, controlling their thoughts, or plotting to harm them. Living in a world distorted by hallucinations and delusions, people with schizophrenia may feel frightened, anxious, and confused, and may be left fearful and withdrawn. Their speech and behaviour can become so disorganised that they may be incomprehensible or frightening to others. Partly because of the unusual realities they experience, people with schizophrenia may behave very differently at various times. Sometimes they may seem distant, detached, or preoccupied and may even sit rigidly, not moving for hours or uttering a sound. At other times they may move about constantly, always occupied, appearing wide-awake, vigilant, and alert.

People with schizophrenia usually experience two types of symptoms.

"Positive" symptoms

These are psychological features "added" as a result of the disorder, but not normally seen in healthy people

• hallucinations

• delusions

• disorganised thinking

• agitation.

Hallucinations are disturbances of perception common in people suffering from schizophrenia. They are perceptions that occur without cause in the real world. Although they can occur in any sensory form (sound, sight, touch, taste and smell), hearing voices is the most common type of hallucination in schizophrenia. The voices may describe the patient's activities, carry on a conversation, warn of dangers, or even issue orders. Delusions are irrational personal beliefs held despite contradictory evidence, unexplained by the person's cultural background. Patients suffering from paranoid-type symptoms (about one third of patients) often have delusions of persecution, or irrational beliefs that they are being cheated, harassed, poisoned, or conspired against. Delusions of grandeur may also occur, in which the person believes he or she is a famous or important figure. Some patients report bizarre delusions, such as believing that a neighbour is controlling their behaviour with magnetic waves; that people on television are directing special messages to them; or that their thoughts are being broadcast aloud to others.

Disordered thinking: Schizophrenia often affects a person's ability to "think straight." Thoughts may come and go rapidly; the person may not be able to concentrate on one thought for very long and may be easily distracted, unable to focus attention. People with schizophrenia may not be able to decide what is relevant and what is not relevant to a situation. They may be unable to connect thoughts into logical sequences, their thoughts becoming disorganised and fragmented. This lack of logical continuity of thought, termed "thought disorder," can make conversation very difficult and may lead to social isolation. If people cannot make sense of what an individual is saying, they are likely to become uncomfortable and tend to leave that person alone.

"Negative" symptoms

These are psychological capabilities which most people posses, but which people with schizophrenia have "lost"

• lack of drive or initiative

• social withdrawal

• apathy

• emotional unresponsiveness ('blunting')

People with schizophrenia often show "blunted" or "flat" emotion (affect). This refers to a severe reduction in emotional expressiveness. A person with schizophrenia may not show the signs of normal emotion (may speak in a monotonous voice, have diminished facial expressions, and appear extremely apathetic). The person may withdraw socially, avoiding contact with others; and when forced to interact, he or she may have nothing to say, reflecting 'impoverished thought.' Motivation can be greatly decreased, as can interest in or enjoyment of life. In severe cases, a person can spend entire days doing nothing at all, even neglecting basic hygiene. These problems with emotional expression and motivation, which may be extremely troubling to family members and friends, are symptoms of schizophrenia and are not character flaws or personal weaknesses.

Psychotic episodes

The sudden onset of severe psychotic symptoms is referred to as an acute psychotic episode. 'Psychosis' is a mental state involving hallucinations (disturbances of perception) and/or delusions (false yet strongly held personal beliefs that result from an inability to separate real from unreal experiences). The negative symptoms of schizophrenia, such as social isolation or withdrawal, or unusual speech, thinking, or behaviour, may be less obvious than the positive symptoms, and may precede, occur along with, or may follow the positive psychotic symptoms.

During a psychotic episode, people with schizophrenia cannot think logically, and may lose all sense of who they and other people are. For a person with schizophrenia, everyday tasks like thinking clearly, controlling emotions, making decisions and relating to others become difficult. The severity of the symptoms and the long-lasting, chronic pattern of the illness often lead to a high level of disability.

The symptoms of the illness usually vary over time, worsening during periods of relapse and improving during periods of remission. Some people have only one psychotic episode; others have many episodes during a lifetime, but lead relatively normal lives during the interim periods, appearing emotionally healthy and stable. However, the individual with "chronic" schizophrenia, or a continuous or recurring pattern of illness, often does not fully recover normal functioning and typically requires long-term treatment, generally including medication, to control the symptoms.

The news and entertainment media tend to link mental illness with violent behaviour. However, except for people with a record of violence before becoming ill, and those with substance abuse or alcohol problems, people with schizophrenia are not especially prone to violence. Most individuals with schizophrenia are not violent; rather they tend to be withdrawn and prefer to be left alone. Substance abuse increases the risk of violence in people with schizophrenia but also in people with no mental illness. People with paranoid and psychotic symptoms, which can become worse if medications are discontinued, may also be at higher risk for violent behaviour. When violence does occur, it is most frequently targeted at family members and friends, and most often takes place at home. Suicide is a serious danger in people who have schizophrenia. If an individual tries to commit suicide or threatens to do so, professional help should be sought immediately.

People with schizophrenia have a higher rate of suicide than the general population. Approximately 10% of people with schizophrenia (especially younger adult males) commit suicide. Unfortunately, predicting suicide in people with schizophrenia can be very difficult.

Anyway....any opinions on this?

• avengers
    avengers

Schizophrenia?

Naaah. It's the demons I tell ya it's the demons.!!

lol...Andy.

Just joking with a subject that's not a joke. I know people who have these symptoms and it's not nice to see.
    I hope there will be a cure someday.

• anitatep
    anitatep

I know that back in the day, when you had a head problem it was always a demon or evil enity that had caused it!..
    then some nuns came up with the idea that you could have a sickness of the mind.... that was not anything to do with demons..
    1. Mental disorder are the work of demons, the manifestation of demon activity on the individual (Early explanation for mental disorder)

2. Demons do not exist.. There are only mental disorders, demons may be a symptom of mental disorders, but this can probally be explaned by the inflicted indivduall blaming their own disorder on an fabricated external enity.. (It's the aliens man... there after me...)

3. Demons and mental disorders are seprate things... You can see demons and not have a disorder because they are tangible enity's..

Very tricky subject... I always find it helpfull to remember that labels such as mental disorders are in them selves created by people as an explantion.. just as they argue that demons are created by people...

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Thunder's friends sis in law has everyone of the symptoms. I have written how she tears tore out all the sheetrok in the house, all the flooring. She won't have a furnace so they have like 4 wood stoves. Her husband is head preacher of a cult. One of the members flew in to stay there he got delayed and so they ended up with his suitcases and not him. She BURNED them before he could get into town. She will burn anything that the kids are given "she hears God telling her to do this stuff." She home schools them and they meet in this shed which has a swivel door that you can only squeeze one persona at a time through.

I could go on and on. The family pisses me off because they have allowed her to raise 8 kids in this nuthouse. The babies all have scars from crawling on the boards where she ripped out the floor. Her eldest kids had to raise the others because as with any untreated schizophrenic she has gotten more and more delusional. With her last child she had to go to the hospital because of complications, they wanted to commit her. Her husband refused to sign the forms

• rainbow2003
    rainbow2003

Since you bring it up, micro-electronic sound and voice devices are used to harass members and ex-member by fruitcakes in various cults who also wiretap. Some get nasty and stoop to this when afraid of going to prison over pedophilia or to protect mother cult from critics. Such stunts can backfire big time. Not to single out just one cult, but intimidation can come from people in different cults, be they satanic or mock Christian imitation groups, anytime they fear prison time or losing their wallets.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Interesting topic Spice. Since my own sister was diagnosed with schizophrenia I've tried to read a lot on the subject to better understand her condition. She once told me that before being given a certain medication in treatment she always had background noise in her head. Almost imediately after starting on this pacticular med the chattering stopped. She said it was the first time in years she could actually think without all the confusion and noise in her head, like turning off a radio that played continually in the background. Weird thing is that she was so used to the noise she even grieved over the loss of it for a short time.

Currently I'm reading a book called The Quiet Room by, Lori Schiller. It's her journey through recovery from the illness. I'm going to quote the back cover of the book because I think it sums up what people with schizophernia experience.

"The voices taught me about a hell that was beyond all religious beliefs. It was worse than the worst horror movie I had ever seen. It was beyond all imagining, beyond all human hope."

"As I sat in the Quiet Room, the Voices that spoke to me were as clear asn real as any other voices around me. In fact, they wre more real, because they were both inside me and outside me. They spoke directly to me, in low, gravely tones, hoarse and husky, true Demons from Hell. "Come to me," they crooned. "Come to hell with me."

"I didn't want to listen. I didn't want to hear. But I had no choice. Where could I go? How could I escape?"

What I've learned through my sister's treatment it's a very difficult illness to diagnose, treat and cure, but it can be mannaged and it's helpful if a family member can monitor the person. Usually they are basicly harmless and only cause harm to themselves. In my sister's case she is very intelligent and has become a master of decietfullness to keep other's from knowing she is different, almost hypervilligent in that regard.

Medicine has come a long way towards the treatment of schizophrenia and for most it is treatable and curable to a certain extent as long as they continue to take their meds. Do I think it's demons....NO, but it is hellish to say the least!

Kate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit