Jehovah's witnesses are the fastest growing religion.

by hoser 87 Replies latest jw friends

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Silly people, his figures were invisible and based on overlapping growth!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Using "absolutely" is a rhetorical flourish nicolou. I've read quite a lot in the subject of Mormon growth or lack thereof and am convinced they are not only not growing very fast but possibly actually in decline. Their numbers are completely bogus in a way that JW numbers simply are not. But Mormkn PR is good and they're still living off the Rodney Stark bandwagon.

Having said all that could I be wrong? Of course, but I doubt it on this one.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

"Is counting inactive Mormons any less of a proper gauge of growth then the WTS society counting unbaptized publishers and 1 hour a month publishers?"

Yes I'd say so. Mormons count people who got baptised in the 1970s, never attended a Mormon church again, and now live as Catholics, still as members of their church. They don't remove people until they are dead or until they are 110 if they lose touch with them. And of course not everyone makes it to 110 so there are a fair few dead people counted as Mormon members. I'd say that's more extreme than counting a 1 hour publisher.
    The census returns from Mexico, Brazil and Chile are the final nail in the coffin for credibility of Mormon membership numbers.

• Clambake
    Clambake

Most Jehovah Witnesses family patriarchs and the most ubers ones are mostly baby boomers. I have seen an entire family walk away when the old man kicked the bucket. The interesting part is what is going to happen when the baby boomer start to die in the next 15-20 years. How many people are just hanging around for family reasons.

Mind you I am beginning to think the average might actually be retarded or it is just a social club to feel superior to the average joe.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Growth rate and baptism are nearly identical between JWs and Mormons. The blaring difference is Mormons accomplish the task with 60,000 door knockers instead of 8 million.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    The difference is Mormons baptise people after 6 weeks and most converts don't attend the Mormon church after that.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    you keep saying that Mormon growth figures are bogus yet in London and the suburbs and home counties I see far more of them in D2D and in street work, I never ever see jw's banging on the doors any more at all, they just seem to sit on their carts playing with their phones and gossiping, if the Mormons were in rapid decline in the UK no one would really see them at all, I know what I'm looking for as well. The temple near me is packed out to capacity every week as is the other one a few miles the other direction, how can this be Mormon PR or spin when I see it with my own eyes? You should be complementing the CoLDS on their effective canvassing rather then continuing to deny it, as The Girl Next Door says they are doing very well with the 60k missionaries they send out world wide compared to the mess that the WTS make of their life saving message be done by 8 million odd. How do you know that a vast percentage of converts dont attend their church after 6 weeks of conversion? are you monitoring in your locality the footfall of them ? I doubt it, you are probably making these statements up
  • the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Gauging by the parking lots on Sunday, the Tabernacles are killing it compared to the Kingdom Halls and its most of the day. And its Los Angeles, not Utah. ;) AND every Mormon family seems to have at least 4 kids in tow. Nothing remotely close for the JWs. That fact alone, along with the JW 33% retention rate, logically points to growth for the Mormons outpacing the JWs. Don't you think?
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    agree very much so perhaps SBF should get himself over to LA or down here to London to take a look, I think we know what we see with our own eyes.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mormons habitually exaggerate their membership. This is well documented. For example in 2000 they claimed 846,000 members in Brazil yet the census found only 205,000. (JWs claimed only 528,000 but the census found 1,058,000)

Same in Chile in 2003 they claimed 520,000 members but the census found only 105,000. (JW claimed only 67,000 but the census found 119,000)

This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of data that show Mormon claims about membership figures are bogus. Look up Ryan Cragun too.

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V38N02_65.pdf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit