A CHANGING WORLD-Q: Is the USA a Post-Christian Nation? A: At 45% white Christians are a minority.

by fulltimestudent 5 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

That is a proposition that a video in The Atlantic magazine argues. I think there is a major flaw in the argument, as its possible to imagine that there is a large segment of non-white Christians, that may mean that the USA is still a "Christian" (whatever that means) nation. However, for supporters of Christianity, the trend is in the wrong direction.

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/504065/america-post-christianity/?utm_source=fbb

And, since change is unsettling to many, these demographic changes may explain the intellectual confusion that many are experiencing. Or, is that also an arguable proposition?

• hail Mary
    hail Mary

i didn't come on this site to discuss this however in my opinion, being that c of e Christians are a rarity in the us. The Irish Americans' are catholic n the rest are happy clappy pentecostal type Christians. This is defo due to demographics and most Americans' probably relate more to the republicans traditional values. In order to fit in, this means embracing the crass values which sadly are incorporated into that movement now. I don't know much about it apart from there are defo lots of immigrants in America which may sway those left wing, however only time will tell whether this will be the right move for such a large and diverse continent... Who really needs to work on its system and position in the hierachy of the un?

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m not sure what constitutes a christian nation anymore , most people who claim to be christian that I`m aware of never go to church or practice a faith not even for xmas or Easter celebrations.

I`m not quite sure I understand the white christian designation .Are coloured christians of no consequence ?

This question ,the way its put sounds very racist , but I dont believe that was your intent FTS ,can you clarify it ?

• Fernando
    Fernando

I'd be keen to see stats on:

% religious, % secular, % spiritual

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    smiddy: I`m not quite sure I understand the white christian designation .Are coloured christians of no consequence ?
    This question ,the way its put sounds very racist , but I dont believe that was your intent FTS ,can you clarify it ?

Hi Smiddy, since we are both non-American, I guess we should background the Atlantic magazine. Its over 100 years old and is usually seen as - (I quote Wikipedia),

" a literary and cultural commentary magazine, it has grown to achieve a national reputation as a high-quality review organ with a liberal worldview ... The periodical has won more National Magazine Awards than any other monthly magazine. ... Focusing on "foreign affairs, politics, and the economy [as well as] cultural trends", it is now primarily aimed at a target audience of serious national readers and "thought leaders"."

I quoted the article in the light of a fairly general anti-Christian viewpoint on this web-site, the loss of influence of the rabid rightwing Christian viewpoint that was once seen as dominant in the USA is significant, and that seems to be the the author's point. He sees the older "white Christian" segment of the USA's population (once dominant) as fast losing that dominance. Of course, if you add the Hispanic American segment (now around 40 million strong), of the American population, (probably strongly Catholic) to the 'White Christian" segment, you might grow the "Christian" element of the USA to around 70%.

Of course, the author's article is sociological in intent and he sees the 'white Christian' segment of the US population as fast losing its former dominance, which may underline the belief (of some) that the 'core' of Trump's support is formed by the 'angry old white men,' of the USA.

Does that make sense?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

At 45% white Christians are a minority - not sure about this. They are a minority compared to all the other groups added up together (55%), but Christians are the largest group in the USA (i.e. in the USA, there's more Christians than atheists or agnostics or Hindus or Sikhs or Muslims, etc).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit