Hey TR do you know what it says now in that 1/1/89

by bigboi 9 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey TR:

Do you remember exactly what your brother quoted to you out of that 1-1-89 edition of the Watchtower. In the version I have it doesn't say "generation" anymore. This one was obtained sometime in the late 90's. I can't remember when, but I may have gotten it after they changed the meaning of generation. Hit me back ASAP with your response. Thanks in advance!

Peace:
    Bigboi

"..... anyone who ignores everyday reality in order to live up to an ideal will soon discover he had been taught how to destroy himself, not how to preserve himself." The Prince. Niccolo Machiavelli.

• TR
    TR

I think one version says, He was laying a foundation for the work that would be completed in our day.

TR

"cults suck"

• AlanF
    AlanF

I don't know about any changes in the 1-Jan-89 WT with respect to "generation", but what many have complained about is a change of the implied end of the preaching work from "in our 20th century" in the original WT to "in our day" in the bound volumes.

AlanF

• bigboi
    bigboi

Yep that's right. That's what the edition of my bound volume says. Did you show that to your brother. If so what did he have to say about it.

Peace,

Bigboi

"..... anyone who ignores everyday reality in order to live up to an ideal will soon discover he had been taught how to destroy himself, not how to preserve himself." The Prince. Niccolo Machiavelli.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Check out the thread here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=5430&site=3

They have the original scanned.

My name is Slipnslideius Masterus: commander of the armies of the North, general of the Felix legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius...

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

About the only thing that quote from the '89 WT really proves is the mindset of Witnesses at the time, that from the lowest R&F member to the men at the top, no one in the organization was expecting the system to last into the next millenium.

That the Society changed the wording in that same year shows that they have been increasingly cautious to not give specific time frames. I believe they were aware they made a mistake in this instance and were just correcting it. There is a big difference in correcting it that year versus correcting it after the year 2000.

There is so many things to be genuinely concerned about, genuine issues, that one does not need to make an issue of something that really isn't.

Path

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

I can confirm what Alan already wrote:

"...what many have complained about is a change of the implied end of the preaching work from "in our 20th century" in the original WT to "in our day" in the bound volumes."

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

• Tanalyst
    Tanalyst

Why can't you sue them for fraud? You bought the volumes thinking they were actual copies of watchtowers, but they were not.

• TR
    TR

Path,

. I believe they were aware they made a mistake in this instance and were just correcting it.

Yep, it's par for the course. Sneaking the change in without anyone noticing. Of course, after the fact, they were concerned that the preaching work WOULDN'T stop in the 20th century. Don't tell me that "20th century" was just a typo! I believe that they believed the end of the preaching WOULD come to an end in the 20th century when they wrote it.

Besides, my brother DENIED the change, and said the WTS NEVER changes what they print.

TR

"cults suck"

• JT
    JT

PATH SAYS

There is so many things to be genuinely concerned about, genuine issues, that one does not need to make an issue of something that really isn't.

#####

i beg to differ with you- this point is the point-
    that the wt changes and redefines anything at anytime they feel like
    it

this is just another example of the mindset that jw and the leaders have

we can do what the hell we want and the rank and file will just have to keep their mouths shut=

it is not THIS OR THAT - it is the complete package deal that creates the problem

for the most part anyone issue taken by itself a cult it may not make, but when you put all the ps together well that is a horse of a different color

i agree this is not earth shattering, but when put with the rest of wt history it only continues to paint the picture

james

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit