impossible for god to lie?

by SpiceItUp 9 Replies latest jw friends

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

If god is omnipotent (meaning having virtually unlimited authority or influence) how is it impossible for him to do anything much less lie?

Also how could he give the lowly humans an aspect of personality that he himself did not have?

If he didnt have it then wouldn't it not exist?

food for thought anyway.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

If god exists, of course he could lie.

If god inspired the bible, he probably had the idea of "impossible for god to lie" written just to emphasize that he is completely trustworthy.

But would god need to lie? Probably not. He would have nothing to hide, right?

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

If God chooses to let a lie stand or to lie outrightly to his enemies, so what!

Has mankind proven themselves to deserve only truth and love from God? As a species no, as individuals many have shown themselves to be worth something though.

Just my opinion.

IW

• ballistic
    ballistic

If God can do anything, can he say, "this statement is a lie"?

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Ballistic,

Sure!

IW

• Beans
    Beans

This reminds me of a great thread by Donkey! Why would an omnipotent god need to become flesh in order to sacrifice himself to himself, so that his creations may escape the wrath of himself? http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/41093/1.ashx Beans http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com Canadian District Overbeer

• JH
    JH

how can God lie, he doesn't talk.

• onacruse
    onacruse

By definition, God cannot lie. Whatever he says (his Word, if you will) automatically becomes (is) reality, and is therefore true.

Looking at it from a philosophical point of view, that is.

Craig

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

well philisophically speaking.... god cannot exist just because he says a bunch of men write down that he says he does...

I was hoping to get some indepth discussion going that might counter any dub I spark this question with....

any takers

• Undecided
    Undecided

Maybe God doesn't lie but his appointed governing body does all the time!

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit