Telltale Symptoms of Fanatics--Sound Familiar?

by Trotafox 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

I read an interesting article today in the Friday Sun Sentinel newspaper. The subject matter to which they were speaking shall remain anonoymous lest this thread go in another direction then the one intended. It simply brought to mind a very strong similarity to an organization with which we are all familiar. Do we really need three guesses to figure out what this sounds like?

"Dr. Norman Doidge, professor of psychiatry at the University of Toronto, has identified among the telltale symptoms of fanatics: an intolerance of dissent, a doctrine that is riddled with contradictions, the belief that one's cause has been blessed or even commanded by God, and the use of reinforcement techniques such as repetition to spread one's message." [Sound familiar?]

"According to Doidge, one of the essential features of fanatics is their certainty that not only is their cause good but that it is the only good, an absolute good." [You're either with us or against us?]

"This absolute intolerance of dissent, says Doidge, often extends beyond the fanatics' enemies--frequently leading to a "campaign of terror" against those within their own ranks."

"Another cruicial element of a fanatic's faith, according to Professor Dixon Sutherland, who teaches religion at Stetson University, is that he [we can substitute "it" here] sees himself as acting for God...You have a circular logic that is very powerful that combines God's authority, through the Bible, with a messenger who carries out that authority."

"Gustav le Bon, a social scientist known for his crowd psychology theories, has stressed the importance of repetition as a weapon in the fanatic's arsenal. Repetition breeds blind acceptance and contagion. Ideas, sentiments, emotions and beliefs possess in crowds a contagious power as intense as that of microbes. If it is said over and over enough, people will believe it..."

SOUNDS LIKE THE BORG TO ME....

Trot (from the "oh it's so good to be out" class)

• amicus
    amicus

The Borg is a certainty. Many if not all organized religions are strong candidates. Most Governments in power today could fill the bill as well. I think the corporations that currently rule my ancestors homeland fit this description to a "T".

Do I see a pattern here?

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

(((Trotafox)))

I agree with what you have found in that article. Fanatacism combined with crowd psychology opens many doors to human behavior that would probably be best left closed.

Nice to read one of your posts again.

Goshawk

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Trotafox,

Glad you posted those excerpts.

Yes, the points mentioned in the article describe quite well the psychology of those in the B(rooklyn) Org(anization).

Randy has at his site, www.freeminds.org, an article on "The Psychology of Totalism" that goes into this in more detail.

He has other articles as well on the psychology of cult mind control.

The same psychology mentioned in the excerpts was displayed, literally as a textbook case, in the behavior of a 1950's Chicago area "Flying Saucer" cult. The story of which must be on the web someplace!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Here is the article I was thinking of at Randy's site,

"Eight Marks of a Mind-Control Cult"

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/lifton.htm

--VM44

• Simon
    Simon

This matches lots of fundamentalist organisations. We focus on the WTS naturally but it will equally apply to other christian sects, islamic sects and even branch into both extremes of politics.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Hi, Goshawk (my Secret Santa ): Only pop into the Board now and then. Trying to get other things in my life organized.

VM44: Thanks for the link. It's downloaded for posterity.

Amicus: Yep (to your last line). Religion, politics, corporations = fanatical cults (to one extent or the other). I guess it's "supporter beware" and look beyond the surface before jumping in with both feet. I currently work for a Company that has a President with a corporate raider mentality, micromanages, and leads by fear and intimidation. It's not pleasant and I'm working on how to get out of it which is why I'm not on this board much anymore.

Simon:

Trot

• amicus
    amicus
    currently work for a Company that has a President with a corporate raider mentality, micromanages, and leads by fear and intimidation. It's not pleasant and I'm working on how to get out of it

I'm sorry to hear that Trotafox. I wish you well in your search for a more enjoyable work environment.

The situation you describe reminds me of a powerplant where I worked as a consultant a few years ago. The General Manager (who I reported to) treated his employees as "cannon fodder". We once had a lengthy discussion concerning this when he wanted me to fire one of the men that was working on one of my projects. He (the GM) honestly believed that it was good to randomly fire people as it kept the others "on their toes". My lifes experience has been that people are more productive when treated fairly. He finally relented when I convinced him that this would adversely impact some of my projects and then randomly picked someone else to fire.

Hmmm, this just crossed my mind...could it be that the WTBTS believes that it's good to randomly DF people to keep the flock "on it's toes"? Nah, couldn't be.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Back to you Amicus.

that people are more productive when treated fairly.

True but this Corporate raider dosn't think that way. The only thing missing is the whip. When the market turns, the people will turn on him and leave. I feel sorry for the ones who won't or can't....I'll probably be one of them. I don't have a degree and I'm 57. It's tough to find another job to support myself and my mother and pay a mortgage.

could it be that the WTBTS believes that it's good to randomly DF people to keep the flock "on it's toes"? Nah, couldn't be.

Yep. Fear and fanatical intimidation. They do it because it works.

Trot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit