Happy to be Living Now

by dobby 4 Replies latest jw friends

• dobby
    dobby

I just finished watching a movie called Far From Heaven set in the 1950's. I can't help but think about how the WT always taught us how terrible the world was getting with each successive generation -that the past was better then the present. Well, I for one, would much rather live in the present.

Maybe there was less crime in times past, maybe people were more polite and gracious, maybe life was a little slower, less stressful. Perhaps, but at what price? A world in which people can't be themselves. A world of prejudice and intolerance of differences. I would pick freedom any day. There is a scene in the movie in which a little black child tries to swim in a pool along with several white families. The little boy's father comes running after his child and grabs him, scolds him and tells him he can't swim in the pool. Of course the little boy cries because he doesn't understand. And because the little boy's foot touched the water, one by one the white people get out of the pool as if it is contaminated.

The movie also centers around a man who is gay who is made to feel as if he needs psychiatric help. He is told he is sick and needs to take steps for "recovery". The story also focuses on an interracial relationship which is taboo in the community and has an unfortunate end. Not to mention the women in the story had no career beyond party planning.

The movie really touched me because I have had the freedom to love a man of another race. I have been married to him for 12 years. We have never faced overt prejudice or persecution for our relationship. For the most part we have lived in peace. There are always the ignorant few and we don't live entirely without caution. However, my son swims in any damn pool he pleases.

I would never trade my life today for a lifetime in the past. Even with the struggles and problems we have as 21st century humans. I take THOSE problems any day for the sake of the freedom to live how I wish.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I too love a man of a different race.

Six~ can't be too serious (phobic), but agrees with the gist of your post and good movie btw class

• Gopher
    Gopher
    the WT always taught us how terrible the world was getting with each successive generation -that the past was better then the present.

If they didn't teach that, they couldn't sell their "end times" philosophy to their readers.

There is a bible proverb that says something to this effect, "Do not say 'why were the old days better than now?' For it is not due to wisdom that you have said this."

So according to the Bible, the Watchtower is wrong for proclaiming the present to be worse than the past. And there are many reasons the present is better, including improved social inclusion for people of all races as you mentioned.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I have to agree. I'm happy to be living now. There are things that are better now. There are things that are worse now. Whether the world is in total better or worse is debatable. However, I'm quite content living with the advantages and disadvantages we have now than the advantages and disadvantages that existed 40 or 50 years ago.

• Francois
    Francois

The "Good Ol' Days" are always allegedly better than the days in which we currently live. However, it seems that we seldom stop to consider that the days in which we live now will BE the Good Ol' Days of times to come.

Thus, I feel we should do all we can to enjoy the now, since it's the only time we have. The past is gone and lives only as a construct in the memory matrix of our brains; the past is not real. It cannot be touched or felt or seen. Only remembered.

The future is not here and exists only as a set of various possibilities, none of which may be predicted with any reasonable degree of accuracy. And neither can the future be touched or felt or seen. It can only be surmised.

NOW is the only time we have; the only time we will ever have. Why waste it remembering yesterday, or in anticipation of tomorrow?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit