Got my convention invitation

by Anony Mous 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

How things have changed, apparently they totally forgot I am an "evil apostate" two good looking ladies came to my door, my wife opened the door.

Handed my wife the tract and said they are simply inviting people in the area, nothing further, not even a bible or other literature in their hand.

The invitation is small, like the size that a small 3-fold tract used to be. I remember the last invitation was at least a proper sheet of paper. And thin, you can see right through it. Didn't bother reading it, but we apparently only got invited to the weekend program, which is no longer in a big rented space (we used to have a 12,000 seat stadium that was at least 1/3 full).

It's now in the relatively small circuit assembly hall, which was so small, it could only seat about 2000 people, about 10-12 years ago they had to schedule 2 weekends just to fit the entire circuit. And the poor schlubs that have to drive 4 hours to go to a 'circuit sized' convention, the throngs of people going from and to hotels and parking lots, everyone 16-26 hunting for some available dating partner from a distant hall, all this 'excitement' seems to be gone now.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

If you think the excitement is gone wait (patiently) til you hear the talks

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Reports like this just keep coming in! If it was from one area only, you better believe the Branch would arrange for a zone visit to whip the region back into shape. Heads would roll by god!!!!!!!

But it is everywhere and WTC seems helpless to to do anything about it.

Yet, I still read comments on Reddit about WTC being strong. It is beyond belief to me that anyone still thinks WTC can recover!!!

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

Since about 2016, they've had the same very basic suggested presentation for offering convention invitations every year.

It's just something like "we're here to invite you to a special event that's going to be held at <venue> on <dates & times>. This is your invitation. We'd be happy to see you there."

There's also the option to highlight a couple of points from the invitation, or to play a short video (of course) to the householder if they show sufficient "interest".

That's about it. No need to show a bible verse or engage in any kind of discussion.
    The annual memorial invitation campaign is similar.

Talk about easy ministry.

EDIT: This is the text from the 2016 instructions to publishers, which they recycle every year.
    Note the 'What Will You Say' section:

Convention Invitation Campaign

Each year, anticipation builds for the spiritual feast that we enjoy at our regional conventions. So that others too may taste Jehovah’s goodness, we will invite as many as possible to attend with us. (Ps 34:8) Each body of elders will determine how to make the best possible use of the invitations.

DETAILS TO KEEP IN MIND
    When is my convention?
    When does the campaign begin locally?
    When are the local meetings for field service?
    What are my goals for the campaign?
    Whom do I plan to invite?

WHAT WILL YOU SAY?

After giving a customary greeting, you might say:

“We are involved in a global campaign to distribute this invitation to a very important event. The date, time, and address are printed on the invitation. We would enjoy having you present with us.”

HOW CAN YOU CULTIVATE INTEREST?

Although we want to invite as many people as possible to the convention, we should be alert to cultivate any interest shown.
    On weekends, you may offer the magazine along with the invitation.
  • Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I like the topic though: "Exercise Patience" (aka "wait") - and the program basically is: wait, wait a very long time, what we can learn about waiting, wait longer than these people in the Bible waited.

This is so on the nose, they absolutely know that the majority of JWs is disillusioned, plenty of people STILL ALIVE since 1914, waited till 75, then waited till 2000 then waited for every major disaster (twin towers, several major wars, two major pandemics and even Trump's 4 years of "peace and security" followed by all sorts of re-emerging wars, food shortages and global issues), hell, most of us have been waiting since they "lost track" of the King of the South only for it to re-emerge last year and JWs are still waiting for every event in the world to bring about the end.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

2 days ago
    If you think the excitement is gone wait (patiently) til you hear the talks

👍👍🤣🤣👏👏

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

The leaflets they're handing out these days are quite pathetic. As mentioned above, small, thin, very little reading matter contained therein.

At least once upon a time you could look forward to the witnesses turning up monthly with some new reading material that you could browse through for half an hour or so, regardless of whether or not it was crap. The Awakes at least occasionally had interesting articles, as long as you always fact-checked them.

So I hear now on here that they're not even printing magazines anymore, and only bringing them out a few times a year. Pathetic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit