On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Viviane
    Viviane
    As long as you keep the accusation of me of being a liar and an hypocrite, save your words - apology not accepted.

I'm apologizing because my behavior was wrong and I acknowledge that and regret it. It's not a negotiating point for you to accept it or not. I really don't care that you lied about me or whether or not you accept it. I've done my part.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Speaking for myself, I am slightly worried for you, or rather if I had your posting history I would *know* i was not in a happy place in my life. I tried to go over your past threads and you seemed a different person 2 years ago, much more happy and open to conversation with other people. In many ways you remind me of an atheistic version of a previous poster here, Brotherdan, who due to stressful life circumstances got pulled into a bad form of evangelism.

That's quite a bit of work you done looking into my past. It's kind of creepy how you keep wanting to talk about my feelings and life circumstances, both of which are exactly zero of your business.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

First, I'm not smarting from anything anyone online says about me. Personally, I find it quite amusing, kind of like when a kitten attacks a Rottweiler. It's JUST SO ADORABLE! However, it also allows us to see how forum members respond to personal attacks and give us a bit of insight into their perception vs. reality.

Specifically, who did I call names for believing in god? What personal attack did I make upon them? Is it OK for someone to call me names because of the perception that I hurt someone's else's feelings? Is it now OK to call names as long as it's directed at the right person? Are there now degrees of personal attacks the forum members are thinking is OK?

First, I think everyone, me included, should just take a nice, deep breath and relax.

Viv, I can't be bothered, on my day off from work, to dig up examples of how you treat anyone who either enters in a discussion with you, or believes in God.

I don't think that would be necessary.

Talsin, on this thread, didn't call you any names, Viv. She implied that you cower inside and she said that she pities you. Not nice words, but it is what it is.

I can be pretty argumentative, and sometimes need to calm down. Sometimes, I've gone over the top and had to apologize to people on this forum.

I like Bohm's post, and think that (s)he may have a point.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    First, I think everyone, me included, should just take a nice, deep breath and relax.
    Viv, I can't be bothered, on my day off from work, to dig up examples of how you treat anyone who either enters in a discussion with you, or believes in God.

I'm quite relaxed, thank you.

That's a pretty common thing, I've noticed. "Make claim about Viv, then can't be bothered with it". I do consider it necessary if you are going to assert that I've done something to someone, that, as Eden says, you show the urbanity to show me what I've done specifically to believers that you find objectionable.

Talsin, on this thread, didn't call you any names, Viv. She implied that you cower inside and she said that she pities you. Not nice words, but it is what it is.

I never claimed she did. I specifically did NOT claim that and instead paraphrased what she said.

I can be pretty argumentative, and sometimes need to calm down. Sometimes, I've gone over the top and had to apologize to people on this forum.

Me too. I just apologized on this forum. It happens.

I like Bohm's post, and think that (s)he may have a point.

Bohm couldn't possibly be more wrong if he had tried.

• bohm
    bohm
    Viviane: However, it also allows us to see how forum members respond to personal attacks and give us a bit of insight into their perception vs. reality.

Is this in part why you make personal remarks on people regarding their intelligence, honesty, religion, looks, etc., to get insight into their perception vs. reality?

Viviane: That's quite a bit of work you done looking into my past. It's kind of creepy how you keep wanting to talk about my feelings and life circumstances, both of which are exactly zero of your business.

you have started 13 topics, it literally took less time than typing this post. "creepy". more deflection.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    you have started 13 topics, it literally took less time than typing this post. "creepy". more deflection

So, you type really slow is what I am getting out of this, meaning you must have something similar to dyslexia or deformed hands. (see, we can all play the "make sh*t up" game, also, some of those topics were pages and pages long, so assuming your claim is true, you looked at topics titles and didn't bother reading them, meaning your basis for saying anything about my state of mind doesn't exist or you really haven taken a good bit of time to look into my past, which I do find kind of creepy).

I did notice that you are doing something you commented on in another thread. Making a suggestion and then subtly moving it to "fact". First, it was ask if I was happy. Reject the answer, of course, because it doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion. Then, find something that, to you, uneducated in psychology or psychiatry, "suggests" I'm suffering through a crisis. Then, when that claim is also shown as, to quote cofty, bollocks, move it to the realm of denial of my problems, meaning it MUST BE TRUE!

It's little more than a "have you stopped beating your wife" gotcha question.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I said: Viv, I don't know if you've been called names on previous threads, but if you're smarting because someone on this thread called you "a walking argument", then that is as nothing compared to how you've treated individuals who have the audacity to answer that they believe in God.

You responded: Specifically, who did I call names for believing in god? What personal attack did I make upon them?

I didn't claim that you called people names. It was more how you treated people in general.

We then agreed that Talsin didn't call you names but you'd said this: Is it OK for someone to call me names because of the perception that I hurt someone's else's feelings? - if not Talsin, who did you have in mind? Who's been calling you names?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    It was more how you treated people in general.
    Is it OK for someone to call me names because of the perception that I hurt someone's else's feelings? - if not Talsin, who did you have in mind? Who's been calling you names?

So you won't bother demonstrating your claim about how I treat people (not calling them names) but you want me to back mine up, even after you yourself pointed out?

I don't think so. If you want to continue this conversation, you'll need to show me exactly how you think I've treated someone that is the subject of discussion, I'm not dealing in a vague notion that's "just accepted" without proof and then asked for proof.

Feel free, everyone, to continue to dogpile. It won't hurt me but clearly is needed by some here. I'm going to be gone for a while, wallowing in misery as I go to brunch, buy some new beds for the kids, have a late lunch with my mom, clean up from our Halloween party last night.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Although you're original question demanded that I provide evidence of name-calling on your part, it has now changed to telling me that I need to show evidence of the shabby way that you sometimes treat posters. I'll let it slide this time.

So, it seems there is no evidence for you treating people badly, plus there is no evidence for other people calling you names.

So we're tight, yeah?

High five!

C'mon, Viv, don't leave me hanging ...

• bohm
    bohm

Viviane: I stand by my initial assertion that it is my impression you have changed in the way you interact with other people on this forum, this is in part due to looking at your previous topics (many which I recall, such as your discussion on knowing things and logic) and in part due to an impression i have formed over some time. I think we all do this with other frequent posters so rest assured I do not wish you to tell me about your personal life. The remark, are you happy, was rhetorical and not an invitation for you to tell me your inner most feelings.

I did notice that you are doing something you commented on in another thread. Making a suggestion and then subtly moving it to "fact". First, it was ask if I was happy. Reject the answer, of course, because it doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion.

As I have said previously, when i was in more stressful life circumstances a while back, i think my way of posting and interacting with the board was more similar to how you are interacting now, that's all.

Look at it this way. If i really believed you were miserable, I would not be interacting with you. I believe I stopped doing that with brotherdan (for instance) when he was obviously spiraling out of control because he was obviously hurting. Perhaps you are very happy right now and your way of posting on this board reflects your personality at it's very best, or you could be trolling us, or you just like arguments. I don't know which is why in part i am still replying to your posts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit