Ex-JW book featured on Amazon.com

by truthseeker1 4 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I just went to Amazon.com and on the first page, the Featured Reccomendation was:

Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness: Escape from the Watchtower Society by Diane Wilson

Pretty cool. I haven't read the book, but its nice to see that its shown to all who open Amazon!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't think it's a featured recommendation for everybody, just those who've expressed interest in similar books.

• Swan
    Swan

Yes, Derek is right. If it can identify who you are through a cookie on your PC, Amazon bases the content of the page it sends you on your past interests and purchases. Every link you click is examined and your interests are summarized and stored in a database. It stores different information for every one of its customers. When you go to Amazon, it recognizes who you are, looks up your interests in its database, and then includes recommendations specific to you on the page it creates just for you. This page is sent to your browser, but not anyone else's.

Do you have items in your Wish List and Shopping Cart? This indicates that Amazon knows who you are through cookies. Just as it remembers what you told it you would like to possibly buy, it also remembers the types of things you have looked at in the past.

Pretty slick, huh?

Tammy

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Yeah, I figured that out just after I posted this. LOL. Kinda slipped my mind they keep track of that stuff. Oh well.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D
    just those who've expressed interest in similar books.

Huh, well that explains why this is my featured product

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6301865685/qid=1056040093/sr=-3/ref=__3/002-0705303-4984047?v=glance&s=books

And I thought that this was finally getting some mainstream acceptance. Oh well...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit