I received a letter!

by frozen2018 9 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

A letter from a JW arrived the other day. Nothing remarkable. I wondered why I was sent the letter? Do JW's just send them to random people or does someone around here know that I was associated in the long ago past. I thought about it and I'm pretty sure I have been to the local Hall once 26 years ago. Again, nothing remarkable...except for one thing.

The letter had a full return address on it. For fun (I know I lead a dull life) I decided to Google the name to see if it was real. In about 10 minutes I confirmed the sender was authentic, who she is married to, how many children she has, the names of her spouse and children and where she and most of her family work. I noted that a death occurred recently in her family and, on a happier note, she is planning for a wedding this summer! I also learned she lives in a nice house (thanks Google maps) and somebody in the house might drive a Chevy Suburban (thanks Google street view). Did I mention I saw pictures of her and her loved ones?

Are JW's really this dense? Sending unsolicited mail to strangers containing enough personal information to potentially cause real harm to come their way? That is remarkable!

• Ding
    Ding

Counting time...

• jhine
    jhine

As Ding said they have been letter writing on a large scale to get time in . I had one ( England) and most people l know got one. People in the USA got them as well , don't know where you are .

Jan

• Overrated
    Overrated

Send them a nice unwitnesesing letter to them with no return address. Maybe they will read it or not.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I wish I would get one.

• Chezdale
    Chezdale

Here down under, in my area there is a Saturday morning Zoom “meetING for Field Service” the group overseer uses a field service map and a publisher is given a street and a set of numbers.

The return address was the congregation PO Box but that was getting clogged up so it was changed to the large letter box at the Kingdom Hall. There is strong discouragement to using your personal address.

It is sad .. but I know of many that are handwriting very neatly written letters - carefully and slowly around 30 minutes per letter so as to count time. I am not exaggerating here. Someone close to me takes it very seriously.

last mid week meeting it was announced that the “memorial invite” was starting today Feb 27 so that will now be put in an envelope, postage stamp attached and sent all over the territory. Several names were read out of those who had joined the Aux pioneering for the month with the choice of 30 or 50 hours. All counted with letter writing and phone calls.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I can't wait for a phone call with some thought provoking questions.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I'd be tempted to write back and let the person know that you understand the purpose of her letter but in doing so she has left herself open to an invasion of her privacy and security.

Explain to her that with a few key strokes, you were able to find out the names of her family members, what kind of vehicle she drives, where she lives and that she is planning a wedding. Include a photo or two of what you saw on Google Maps. Tell her that her that she has nothing to worry about as far as you are concerned but that you wanted to let her know it made you feel a bit creepy to receive such a letter from a complete stranger and that by sending such a letter she is assuming that you and others aren't as enlightened as thinks she is. Advise her that if she insists on sending these letters out, to at least stop giving her personal information .

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Yes, pretty well being sent to random people. That is if driving around town, listing down the streets and addresses, then making a "territory" and sending letters to every address is random.

Of course no effort made to find out if the person associated with that address is living or not, or if they still reside there or have moved, or if they may have divorced and remarried.

What could go wrong with that kind or "organization"?

I would guess that a large majority of the letters get returned as undeliverable, and the rest just get put in file 13.

• jhine
    jhine

I did write back , details on another thread, but obviously got no reply as l didn't show interest in joining the org and actually asked awkward questions . I just hope that at some time in the future when something has happened to make the recipient have doubts they may remember my questions.

It see to me that often the turning point is when something personal happens , being treated unfairly or seeing an elder get let off with something that you have been in trouble for etc .

Just maybe then a letter sent outlining flip flops or inconsistencies in doctrine may be remembered.

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit