What happened to Abbreviated Scriptures?

by Oroborus21 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Yesterday I noticed something for the very first time in the Watchtower. ALL of the scriptures in the study article are spelled out in full. (e.g. 1 Timothy instead of 1 Tim or 1 Ti). This is true even when there is a string of scriptures.

I browsed through the CD-Rom and discovered that as of Jan 1, 1982 this appears to be the format adopted (without any hint of reason or why that I could uncover.)

Does anyone know the reason for this change?

Did the Society feel that the friends (or the public) was unfamiliar with the abbreviated forms?

Was it for better readability?

Is it because this makes the scriptures more prominent and thus sends a strong message that the info is "Bible Based?"

Over time I guess the accumulated "space saved" (that the Society didn't have to fill with info) to be millions of pages by citing the scriptures in full.

Along these same lines it appears like there was no real standard form of abbreviation used by the Society before. The Reference Bible has a whole table of abbreviated forms on the Bible Books page but none of these forms seem to be used in the magazines or publications and the forms used in these varies almost from work to work and sometimes even in the same article.

Was there any rhyme or reason to this? Was this the unintended effect of having different authors work on the same piece or writing by committee?

curious,

Eduardo

• blondie
    blondie

Perhaps it was too difficult for the average JW to determine which book it was and the use of bible verses in their answers was markedly reduced. Probably some CO, suggested spelling it out to help them out.

Or perhaps they found that the apostates just recently ousted at Bethel had been using the abbreviations to send subliminal messages to the readers.

Maybe MEPS had something to do with it.

I have this question:

Why did it used to be Jehovah's witnesses (small case w) until about 1976 and then it became Jehovah's Witnesses. I was told that it had to be a small w because we were witnesses of Jehovah and not Jehovah's Witnesses like a worldly religion.

What happened to Jehovah's Christian witnesses (Witnesses) in the publications?

Can you find a explanation in the publications why "servant" became "overseer"?

Is it new system, new system of things, new world society (end by 1968), new order (ended 1985), new world (current).....

Blondie

• Swan
    Swan

I remember when back calls became return visits. I wonder if that was because back calls sounded too much like back talk, which is something you should never do in the congregation.

Hmmm.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit