Legalities around summarising Ray Franz's book 'Crisis of Conscience'

by UnshackleTheChains 9 Replies latest forum suggestions

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. I know there has been a lot of discussion around the book 'crisis of conscience' and copyright infringement on this forum. Hence the reason for my question.

In 2004, I couldn't believe my luck in finding this book in the city library. I read it twice within a few weeks. The second time I read it, I decided to jot down notes as wanted to hand the book back in to the library so that it was available to others. I was also paranoid my wife would see the book as still at the stage where I was only beginning to awaken.

As it turned out, I jotted down 40 pages worth of notes from what I think was the 2nd edition.

As it is so easy nowadays to simply speak into the microphone to type up the words, I was wanting to make available online the notes I jotted down from the book and put up online (free of course).

So, my question is whether I can do this without copyright infringement. I would be grateful for your thoughts on this matter.

• vienne
    vienne

If you don't quote extensively from the book; if you put everything in your own words, it's a new product. If you quote extensively you run afoul of the fair use provision of copyright law. Fair use allows only minor extracts for educational and review purposes.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Thanks Vienne,

I will take that on board. I will also see if I can seek permission from the copyright holder and send her a draft of my summary.

• Listener
    Listener

Unshackle, fi you send a draft to the copyright holder make sure you put a copyright statement on your own draft. so that your rights to your work cannot be misused.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Thanks listener

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

If the response time to your request is anything like waiting on the copyright holder to actually put the book out, you may die before getting a response. I'd just do it, following recommendations from people like Vienne above. It's actually great marketing for the book, too bad nobody can buy one.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Ok. Let's say, I type up all my notes that I had written down in 2004. 40 pages worth. I keep them as my own private notes, and don't put them on line such as a blog.

But let's say, I come on here and suggest that if anyone wants my typed up notes taken from coc, and I then email each individual requesting my notes directly. would that be ok/ legal?

So they are not being sold or put out as a book, they are simply my own notes I jotted down for reference to summarise coc.

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

Your notes and any commentary are yours.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the copyright holder. As dubstepped implied, she can't even get her out-of-stock book published.

• Londo111
    Londo111

A whole another can of worms...which is why this book should go into the public domain.

• Moster
    Moster

I purchased one in 2012. Didn't realize there was an issue buying one now. The .org handing that printing now too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit