A sense of history and time

by larc 2 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

It is easy to forget the amount of time between events, until you compare it to your own life and those of your parents and grandparents.

For example, Russell founded the religion in 1879, and predicted the end of the world in 1914. That was 35 years into the future. Think about your own life and how long 35 years is.

My mother's aunts became Witnesses in the 1920's. The religion was 50 years old. Think about 50 years compared to how long you have lived.

My mother became a Witness in 1942. The religion was 63 years old by that time. Think of 63 years in terms of your life.

My mother's aunts are dead. My mother is dead, and I am 62. In 1959, I told my JW buddies, that I was going to college. That was 80 years after the start of the religion. My friends told me that Armageddon would be here before I graduated from college. These former friends are grand parents now, and some are soon to be great grandparents.

When you put history into literal terms, as I have just done, it gives a better picture of what is going on here.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Excellent point larc

My mother has been associated with the JWs since 1963 - 40 years Unbelievable.

What a waste of a life

and it could have been me!!!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Viewing things that way does put things in perspective.

The religion is now 124 years old (if you count from 1879, and not from the time of Abel, LOL).... My parents both were baptized in the early 1950's, so they've been waiting for the "promised new system" for 50 years, or not quite half the time that the so-called religion has been peddling its wares.

I wonder if the JW religion can even make it another 124 years? Or will people tire of false promises?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit