JW,s don't need holidays to be generous. They do it all year round!

by doodle-v 7 Replies latest jw friends

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

yeeeeeahhhh riiiiiiight.

I would hear that quote all the time in talks and parts at assemblies and in magazines.

I dont know about you guys but i never remember getting presents all year round!! I dont remember our family being all that generous to the needy all year round either!! What kind of memories does that phrase conjure for you guys?

• pamkw
    pamkw

I remember getting presents only once, my mom went on a trip and brought us back presents, wrapped in paper. Otherwise we were lucky to get everyday things, let alone gifts. And we never had parties. After all we might have fun.

Pam

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

phew for a moment there I thought your hat was on too tight

a gift in our house was getting new clothes for the school year and district conventions

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I can't remember how many times I heard that line, must of been in the hundreds.......

What a load of BS,

I guess they figured they were being generous by dragging us out in field service on Christmas Day.

For me, it wasn't that we didn't celebrate Christmas that bothered me, it was all the kids in school and the kids in the neighborhood ALWAYS asking why ??? my answer was because my parents are idiots, that worked for me. Nothing worse then standing out in a crowd especially at a young age, as if life wasn't hard enough, I guess all JW parents figure this is how to be generous to your kids.

And I do remember my family giving to the needy though, oh yes but only if they were in our congregation.

• shamus
    shamus

WHATEVER! Total load of crap!

• freedom96
    freedom96

Usually the witnesses were too poor to buy presents all the year long.

• embalmed
    embalmed

Yeah, I never got presents either. Well, from JWs anyway. I remember when I was about 8, one magazine that said something how people think JW children are deprived since they don't celebrate holidays and then had little quotes or stories from apparent JW kids who say they're not deprived, that they get presents all year round and their friends get jealous and all that rubbish. That made me mad because I never got presents and those spoiled brats did. Although, when I got into highschool, a few "worldly" friends of mine would secretly throw a birthday party for me at one of their houses and I'd get stuff from them, but the only presents I've gotten from my mum are basically clothes. And rarely were they new clothes unless there was a huge clearance sale somewhere.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

My family had a "party" once a year where we did almost the exact same thing as "worldly" people do at Christmas. We had a big dinner (usually turkey coz it was cheap), and got quite a few presents.

I cannot honestly say I was deprived of gifts. We were extremely poor, and I knew that. So I was thankful for what I did get. Except for all the hand-me-down, secondhand clothes. I hated those. I got made fun of at school for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit