Quebec to abolish time limits on civil action in sexual abuse cases

by yalbmert99 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

Good news for victims: Quebec (Canada) to abolish time limits on civil action in sexual abuse cases.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/sexual-abuse-time-limits-quebec-1.5598419

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

That is good news and I hope it means justice for more victims of Child sexual abuse in Canada .

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

Yes, there is hope

• Simon
    Simon

I'm not sure about this, although it's easy to support it at face value and there are good reasons for it, people may be forgetting the reason that there are limits - what is your defence if someone accuses you of something 50 years ago? Where were you that day? Can't remember? Don't have an alibi? Hmmn, you sound GUILTY!

I think there should be controls - if the accused was in a position of power and control for instance, or there was a specific reason for not coming forward earlier. If something was reported but not properly followed up by law enforcement that should also be an automatic fast-track to allowing a case.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I find that the XJW community often seems to forget that the police does not always equal justice. Yes, JWs need to tell the police who are generally better at handling abuse cases, but the system is not fool proof. I personally believe in proofs, such as DNA analysis, video/audio recordings, analysis of cell phones and computers, etc. Proof to corroborate the account of the victim. And yet, every once in a while, I find myself watching the news or some documentary where the accused is sent to jail on nothing more than the word of the victim. I find this deeply disturbing. I’d find it even more disturbing if this type of scenario happened several decades later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit