Always happens when I go in the hospital and I hate it!

by Kingpawn 4 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

I got home from the Dayton hospital after a heart cathertization/angioplasty, and while there the semigood control I had over my blood sugar went through the roof.

Hospitals use what they call a "sliding scale" as far as how much insulin they'll give. That's bad enough, but add to it the fact that they test you after you've eaten (I'm used to testing/dosing myself up to a half-hour before a meal when I can).

What really gets me is: if my hometown docs have prescribed certain meds---why the $%^& can't the hospital give me the same pills?!? They know I take them regularly (unless they didn't read the charts!) Hardly ever got them. They say I'm allowed to take them the day of the procedure so they can't be contraindicated, can they? OK, the one that reduces my heart rate would, I'd think, be perfect for a time like this. No nitrate, beta blocker, etc either. They sometimes gave me doses of the quick-acting insulin; as far as the 24 hour kind, I'm not sure I ever got it. Laying in a hospital bed after a cath/AP/stent placement isn't going to burn up a lot of calories obviously. So I can't buy the idea I might have a hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) reaction.

The procedure was needed considering what they found in the angioplasty, but any food/meds/sleep/activity regimen I had going in is always shot by the time I get out.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I can't offer any advise, but I can give you hugs (((((Kingpawn)))))

-

Dutch District Overbeer

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

((((Vivamus))))

Thanks. Hey, I saw those pics posted about the Apostofest and finally got to hear some voices to go with the faces--yours too. Lisavegas420 was asking me if I was going to make it to the one in Green Bay Wisconsin here in the States. I'm a little leery about airplanes right now so....

How are these things handled in The Netherlands(sp?)? Medical care like mine, I mean?

Unrelated, but I hear that while there is an "assisted-suicide" law where you live, there have been allegations it's being abused and misused. What's up?

Have a nice day!

Kingpawn

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hello King,

In my experience, one has to be one’s own advocate while in the hospital, unless you have a spouse or other close relative, to act as your advocate. Cardiologists are not nearly as concerned about your blood sugar as is your local physician; neither are the nurses. All of these folks are busy and they don’t have or don’t take the time to think through your personal scenario.

I am on special medications that require special lab work at the correct time. My own internist and his nurse don’t get them right either. So, I quiz all involved and politely demand that things be done correctly. Works OK when I am lucent enough to do it. My wife takes over when I am too ill to do it myself.

Be an active participant in your care. Medicine is too complicated these days to leave it to complacent.

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

SB,

Thanks and point taken.

Not being a nurse I don't know the time demands on them and so you may well be right. Unless I speak up it'll get brushed off. My wife was there but maybe we both assumed mentioning it once was enough. I'm sure I'll be in for another "visit" someday so I'll be better prepared next time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit