No desire to be religious

by TR 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TR
    TR

When people hand out religious flyers, which a young man did today, I feel annoyed, like a salesman trying to hock his wares when I don't need what he's selling.

The young man and the church he represented were a lot less intrusive with their ministry than JW's, though. That's why it angers me to know that JW's go out of their way to disrupt peoples lives with a bogus religion at the prodding of the likes of the WTS. It's like a Yugo car salesman knocking on doors telling people how good the company is.

I'm really saddened to see JW's still walking to the doors, sitting at fast food joints for their "break" on Saturdays, still following the demented old bastards of the WTS, and selling their 'Yugos'. Which bring me to my point; I'm annoyed by religion. I don't want anything to do with it. I was always annoyed by people peddling religion, even before I became a JW, and now. I made a mistake, and fell for the 'Yugo' that was offered to me. The 'Yugo' was presented and packaged in a way that made me feel as if I would be stupid to not accept it. "If it's too good to be true......." Well, I was a sucker and learned the hard way.

Hmmm. Ironically, I find myself agreeing with ol' "Booze" Rutherford. Religion certainly can be a "snare and a racket."

TR

"cults suck"

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Amen, Brother!

Expatbrit

• patio34
    patio34

Yeah, for crying out loud, just leave folks alone! But how would they increase their numbers?

Your comparison of a salesman is right on target, imo. Another facet of that is that you can't trust that they're nice because they ARE, but what do they want from you? It's always a red flag if someone wants to make money or converts--you can't trust what you see.

It's disingenuous, dishonest--the smiles and courtesies, but it's not really genuine because they 'do all things for the sake of the good news.' 'To the Jew I becamse as a Jew, . . ."

The source of the attitude is the Bible, imo.

Patio

• Jang
    Jang

Big difference TR, is that that young man was happy to give you the leaflet and then leave it in
    your hands without coming back and back at you until you relented.

Christians in churches (well most of them anyway) believe that they can give you a leaflet like
    that, and if you read it then the Holy Spirit will do the rest. Only the cult-like groups will hound you
    into the waters of baptism

I agree that religion is a snare and a racket ..... but real Christianity is not a religion ..... and a
    Christian is not supposed to be religious .....

JanG

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

>>>No desire to be religious<<<

Me neither. Just God loving. :)

Hey TR, you play guitar and into music?

pomegranate

• Spook
    Spook

That's the problem with the "golden rule." It mandates action. Do unto others? What if others don't want to be done unto?

I prefer the wisdom of confuscious: Don't do to others those things which you wouldn't want done to yourself. That seems a much more social principle to me.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I don't mind people in the street trying to sell me their religion as it gives me the chance to have real life debates. One with a Mormon last year went pretty much like this:

Me: "Can I ask, were you raised in the Mormon religion?"

Him: "I was."

Me: "Don't you think that could be the reason you believe the Mormons are the true religion?"

Him: "I asked myself the same thing when I was 14. I had to look around at other religions. I tried some other churches."

Me: "How many did you try?"

Him: "Two or three."

Me: "How many times did you go to them?"

Him: "A few times."

Me: "Just Christian churches?"

Him: "Yes."

Me: "And what made you decide they were wrong and the Mormons were right? Is there proof the Mormons are right?"

Him: "Well no, it's not about proof..."

Me: "No... So how did you know?"

Him: "When I was at the other churches, it just didn't feel right. I felt out of place, like God's spirit wasn't there."

Me: "Don't you think it's possible you felt more at home with the Mormons because your friends and family were there and you were used to that way of worship?"

Him: "That's possible, but I don't think it was that. I put my faith in god."

I took his leaflet, but needless to say I wasn't convinced to join up.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Hear ya on that one

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Your time might be better spent just having a chuckle at it instead of being annoyed at it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit