Previous sect in the Watchtower lineage

by GLTirebiter 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Here is an article talking about William Miller's Great Disappointment and a utopian settlement established by one of his followers, Peter Armstrong. The author's statements reveal several similarities between the Millerites and their successors, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society:

• Founded in Pennsylvania
    • Founder William Miller "... decided to offer his own interpretation of the Bible, and while doing so, amassed a number of followers in mid-19th century United States."
    • "Following a period of studying the Holy Word, he concluded that the Second Coming of Christ was imminent and that it would bring with it the end of the world in the form of a battle of good versus evil. Miller’s musings were largely based on Daniel 8:14: 'Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed,' which he took as meaning the cleansing of the earth by fire."
    • Predictions of the End Times did not come to pass (1843-1844)
    • Pacifism and opposition to the draft (US Civil War)
    • Publication of The Day Star of Zion (note similarity to Russell's original Zion's Watch Tower) and Banner of Life
    • When Armstrong started his religious colony "The land itself was deeded to 'Almighty God, who inhabiteth Eternity, and His heirs in Jesus Messiah,' thus making it God’s own property" (similar to Beth Sarim and Beth Shan being deeded to the Old Testament prophets.)

Rather than being the sole true remnant of the true christian faith, WTBTS is preaching a variation on the same failed story. Adding insult to injury, the article does not even name WTBTS as successors to Miller's teachings: Seventh Day Adventists made the cut, but JW.org did not rate a mention!

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/05/23/celestia-pennsylvania/

• venus
    venus

That is the fate of all those who take Bible as a basis of prediction. During the American Civil War the North used the Bible to attack slavery while the South used the Bible to promote slavery. Many are not aware that the opposite positions can be both promoted and attacked using the Bible.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Adding insult to injury, the article does not even name WTBTS as successors to Miller's teachings: Seventh Day Adventists made the cut, but JW.org did not rate a mention!

I have also noted the same thing with many other articles of religious doomsayers and seemingly more often than not Jehovah`s Witnesses don`t get a mention.

I think that just proves the point that the religion of Jehovah`s Witnesses and their beliefs just doesn`t register with society in general .

In other words they are irrelevant nobody knows or cares what they believe or teach.

Jehovah`s Witnesses believe they are fulfilling the prophecy of Jesus in preaching" this good news of the kingdom" and they have been preaching for over 100 years mat.24:14

However you could take a survey of over a million plus people around the world and that subject would not be on the list of what they associate Jehovah`s Witnesses with.

The only thing people know about J.W`s are ...No blood Transfusions, No Xmas , no birthdays ,No voting ,maybe No war .and that`s about it.

And the reasons they will give you for them knocking on your door ? To solicit money or to make converts . and nothing more.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@venus That was me who downvoted you by accident - I'm so sorry. Tried reversing it - hopefully it works. I always enjoy reading your unique views and interesting comments.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Refering to

• When Armstrong started his religious colony "The land itself was deeded to 'Almighty God, who inhabiteth Eternity, and His heirs in Jesus Messiah,' thus making it God’s own property" (similar to Beth Sarim and Beth Shan being deeded to the Old Testament prophets.)

Peter Armstrong founded Celestia.

Quote: CELESTIA, Laporte, Sullivan County — In the early 1850s, a religious community was founded there. Those who lived there believed that Jesus Christ, the son of God, was going to come again. A papermaker from Philadelphia by the name of Peter Armstrong was the founder of Celestia. Earlier, in about 1840, he became a Millerite. They devoutly believed that Christ would make a second coming on October 22, 1844.

CELESTIA

Detailed History > sullivan county historical society http://www.scpahistory.com/museum/history_of_celestia

More here: http://outtaway.blogspot.co.at/2013/09/ghost-town-of-celestia-pennsylvania.html

google map: https://www.google.at/maps/place/Sullivan+County+Historical+Soc/@41.423759,-76.4996376,1554m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89cf8adb8a7d9afd:0x9a4c3260b77b6d69!8m2!3d41.4232101!4d-76.4945679

Goals:

1. divine communism of believers united in their faith,

2. a perfect theocracy on earth where Gods rule was ultimate, and

3. construction of a physical temple (picture)

Now owned almost entirely by private entities, Celestia has returned to wilderness. A 5 acre portion of the original site was donated to the Society, and a walking tour was developed to assist visitors in visualizing this lost utopian community.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Interesting, I have never heard of this one. It was definitely in the Millerite tradition, though apparently with no direct connection to Russell. Not a whole lot different from the Shakers.

Concerning the lack of awareness by the author of the JW connection to the Millerite movement, I would say that most JWs are not aware of it either. The WT has generally avoided calling attention to it, though acknowledging it in the Proclaimers book to a degree.

• steve2
    steve2

Russell was actually a latecomer to the Millerite Velcro school of exegesis. Closer followers were the 7th-Day Adventists.

If you want a closer cousin to Russell than Miller, look to the Christadelphians. They were founded decades before Russell’s whiskers turned white.

Russell was an inveterate magpie - bereft of any original ideas or beliefs himself, he fossicked here, there and everywhere. His craft was to take ideas from others and pompously assert he and his devoted “Bible Students” discovered “his” - ahem, others’ - ragtag of beliefs in the Bible - and the Bible alone. Praise Jah for Chuck Russell! Not.

As I said, the man was a magpie but convinced so many he was a visionary eagle.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

If the WTS (and the others listed) are spiritual successors to William Miller...

...I wonder who the Org's spiritual successors will be 150 years from now?

• steve2
    steve2

...I wonder who the Org's spiritual successors will be 150 years from now?

None of us, that's for sure. Time flies and before you know it, your time is over and others are on the scene making noise of one kind or another. It is humbling to realize this present time is not "it" but that it keeps rolling on and what matters today is replaced by new kinds of fascinations and anxieties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit