Obama to speak from the Oval Office tonight (8:00 eastern)

by Coded Logic 31 Replies latest social current

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

More special forces on the ground ... no one on no-fly list to purchase a gun ... reduce purchases of high-powered assault rifles .... more use of technology ... love your Muslim neighbor as yourself ... etc.

Not a lot IMO.

Rub a Dub

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    What up with ISIS or ISIL???
  • the girl next door
    the girl next door

http://venturesafrica.com/isis-vs-isil-vs-daesh-vs-islamic-state-explained/

"The major difference between the two acronyms lies in the last letter which stands for ‘Syria’ or ‘Levant’. Levant is the historical term for the region east of the Mediterranean including Egypt, Iran and Turkey."

Personally, I would like to see all references made to them be Daesh.

• barry
    barry

Our Tori government in Australia has an increasing number of MP 's saying there is a problem with Islam and that problem would be compounded if not confronted.

There is increasing concern the issues are being glossed over in a bid not to offend Muslim communities.

Immigration minister Peter Dutton and others has called for a truthful and honest discussion on Islam in Australia.

I hope your president echoes a similar view.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

the girl next door:

"Personally, I would like to see all references made to them be Daesh."

Actually I prefer ISIS because those goons have a thing against pagan gods and ISIS just happens to be the name of an Egyptian goddess.

As for the President there was nothing really new about his speech. His policy of containment isn't working. You need boots in the ground side by side with Iraqi/Syrian fighters to deal effectively with ISIS. You also need to eliminate the internecine wars which allows ISIS to take advantage by playing one group against another.

The way to do that is to give each faction their own sovereign territory so that they don't have to step on each others toes. Independence is what most Muslims of different varieties want.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think some of the reason there hasn't been an all out ground military intervention against ISIL is that governments are leery to the fact that ISIL may quickly instigate attacks that could flair up in countries around the world including the US.

Being that countries like the US wont bomb heavily populated areas that ISIL controls as to not kill non fighting citizens , the only way ISIL is going to disappear is an organized ground military attack.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    A 100,000,000 state solution would give peace to the middle east. Each person gets 1 square meter.
  • Witness 007
    Witness 007
    80% of bombers return fully loaded because they cant fire near civilians. This bombing has won no ground at all. They are dug in...you can bomb for 20 years and do nothing.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Was it the president or a fox commentator thay mentioned how they were able to run al queda out of iraq? Didnt al quaeda essentially morph into daesh which are now everywhere? I dont think transferring the terrorists is the same as ending terrorism.
  • barry
    barry

It's very important to defeat Daesh because under Islamic theology god doesn't lose any battles. If Daesh loses it's not approved by Allah.

It's also important to have a robust discussion in western to discuss terrorism and the relationship to Islam so the Muslims know where we stand and if possible reform the violence in Islam. This is the hard one but more attention should be given to this because you can't kill an idea but we can change hearts and minds hopefully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit