Thank you (referring to previous message)

by Juliana 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Juliana
    Juliana

Thank you all so much for your help! I am very inexperienced with message boards, so had to start a new branch of conversation, not knowing how to reply within the same one ... if that makes any sense. I thank everyone for their offers of private discussions, and I would certainly be grateful to have people to talk to ... the thing is, I haven't yet worked out how to do this!

Your advice was really invaluable. I live in Scotland, which has a population of 5 million, and therefore only a very small JW population, so it has been difficult for I have made the decision not to marry my fiancé. I don't feel I have rushed this, as your messages confirmed fears I had already ... I was shocked by the idea of being an obedient wife. I was raised by a very strong and independent mother, who was on completely equal footing with my father. They shared everything equally, made decisions between them, and my father would never have dreamed of telling my mother what to do or oppressed her at all. I made myself a promise a long time ago (long before I met this man) that I would only let myself marry a man with full respect for me, and that I would always be free and my own woman.

Thank you all so much again for advising me, and I would love to chat more, it is wonderful knowing that we are not alone. As for my fiancé's reaction ... well it merely confirmed the fact that he has never respected me to the full. He charmed me and tried to use this sugar-coated blackmail to convert me ... I now realise that any man who cannot accept my beliefs is not good enough. I will no doubt look back with huge relief, as I see this as a learning curve but, above that, a lucky escape.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Dear Sweat Juliana: You are wise beyond your years! May you have peace, health, and a long, happy, (unJ-duded), life! Maverick

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

This is wonderful news Juliana.

I am so proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself.

You made a wise decision. Good for you.

By the way, you can contribute to this forum, even if you aren't a JW; you almost married one. There are people who occasionally arrive on this forum with similar predicaments.

Nice to have a Scottish perspective (that's the MacLeod in me talking).

This is indeed, great news! A round of Tennants on-the-house Juliana.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I am so glad to hear that you didn't get tangled in the JW web! So many of us wish we had never heard of JW's, this cult has been so damaging to us and our families.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Juliana, notice at the bottom of each page is a Reply button. When you click on that you get the reply window.

I am so glad you decided as you did. Lots of luck.

I LOVE Scotland. What city do you live in? We spent about 10 days there in 1996, most of it in Inverness, but we found our way down to Edinburgh too. Gorgeous, gorgeous country. My husband looks like he belongs there................many people looked like him. His roots are in Scotland, actually.

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

Oh, Juliana, I envy the lease on life you have been given. If only I had found this board before my marriage, I would have spared myself so much heartache...

If you want to send a private message to a member, click on their name and you will see a "Send Message" option at the bottom of the page. We're here for you!

Love, Worldlygirl

• Been there
    Been there

Juliana, welcome!

Like they said you can still hang around here if you would like. Congratulations on making a wise, well thought out decision. I think you will have a long and happy (unJW) life. You are a strong woman to be able to realize danger and do what you have to (painful as it may be) to avoid it. No man is worth the hell you would have lived in. Bless you for saving your future children of the pain and torment of being raised a JW. Best wishes to you now on your continued journey..................

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Hello Juliana,

Welcome back. I hope you continue to visit and post. Congratulations on your courage and wisdom. Love is NOT all it takes to make a happy life together. Your willingness to look at reality has saved you years of heartbreak.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Dear Juliana,

I'm glad we didn't scare you off. If only more women would make the same promise to themselves to that you did. Looking for a man who will treat you with repsect and dignity is the best thing you can do for yourself. Marriage should be a partnership - not a dictatorship and you deserve a spouse who will not have to hide you from his family, make excuses or be made to feel spiritually weak for choosing to marry you. When you do meet the right man, and you will, it will be that much more meaningful to you because of this experience.

Best of luck, and I hope you stick around. This is an interesting place, even if you are not a JW.

Silverleaf

• jgnat
    jgnat

Juliana, I especially loved your comment,

I will no doubt look back with huge relief, as I see this as a learning curve but, above that, a lucky escape.

I counselled single parents for years. Many were afraid of beginning a new relationship, as they distrusted their own judgement (having picked so poorly the first time). More than once I comforted a woman after a bad date. Filled with self-doubt yet again, they wondered if they were congenitally disposed to pick badly.

After years of reflection, I decided that dating is a crap shoot. It takes a while to find out what a man is really made of. There is no shame in finding out we were fooled. There are some pretty smooth characters out there. A wise woman walks away when she finds out she picked a dud.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit