JW's correlation to franchise business

by jeremiah18:5-10 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jeremiah18:5-10
    jeremiah18:5-10

I operate a 31 restaurant franchise. It is no small task. The franchise is a well known American company and a rapidly growing one. The nature of it is at first, to grow rapidly, once gaining recognition and brand loyalty, objective increasingly focuses on profitability. The brand recognition is gained through marketing and variety. Brand loyalty is gained through product quality and service. Once attained, profits take over and a hard look is taken at price increases, and cost reduction. They idea is less expansion, more sustaining and improving brand value.

The similarities to JW are obvious. They're past rapid expansion stage, they're merely about protecting the brand and increasing profits. These things run their course and level off. There will from time to time be marketable, subtle gimmick attractions that catch the notice of longtime customers/adherents with some focus on new customers/adherents. Theres an increasing focus on less print and more social media and digital marketing in both. We have shifted from traditional orders of 90-100% to now receiving 50-60% being online orders, JW similar transition. Things become less personal and more automated.

The parallels amuse me. But I no longer see JW as a religion as much as I do a pretty well run franchise with a focus on their brand and sitting back enjoying the profits.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Interesting. Your analogy has merit, and yet religion and business are too different animals. You can't make predictions on a religion run like a business (Watchtower franchise) based on a pure business model, such as the franchise that you run. Your franchise doesn't have the huge amount of public relation problems that JW franchise have if the "consumers" knew the whole story about their religion.

This is the time when information is readily available. You better keep a very clean profile or hide it very well if it's damaged. The leadership of JW's has a very damaged "product", but the "consumers" don't know it... not YET!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

This comparison has been made several times over the years.

Never hurts to be reminded of it, though.

Never a JW, I agree with your point. However, no business is immune to negative comments and bad press in this day and age of social media. Our corporation and franchise both have departments devoted to tracking social media for negative comments and then seek to address it and do damage control. WT likely does the same.

I think the big difference between business and JW is businesses are accountable to investors, legal entities, etc. JW is accountable to no one it seems, theres no external system of auditing. I hope this gets changed and that the RC is a first step in that direction.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Ok, I know it's horrible for me to do, but I'm going to have to take a stab at your Franchise name.

If you were a JW, chances are good you're on the east coast, USA.

Seeing as how I'm in Pennsylvania, I'm going to take a stab and say "Primanti Brothers."

There are probably about 31 locations up and down the east coast by now, and they started out of Pittsburgh, which is, "Ta-Da!", home of the JW religion. If you're in Pittsburgh, you can even visit ol' CT's grave with the pyramid beside it.

I know you wouldn't want to give it away on here, but I had to give it a shot. That's how I roll.

By the way, thanks for bringing one to York, PA. It's always packed. Love it.

Wing commander, lol, no my franchise is in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Chicago. Corporation is based out of Kentucky.
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander
    KFC? Sorry, I don't eat anything that came out of a deep fryer. I'm more of a Qdoba or Chipotle guy. I miss Quizno's, they were good.
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra

Hi Jeremiah,

Are you hiring? I'm about to be unemployed in IL.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Once attained, profits take over and a hard look is taken at price increases,

Yes, but your customers need to be employed and have disposable income.

Berrygerry, yes I agree, the comparison is limited in that regard. JW's as a whole don't have the most disposable income it would seem, which should have an impact sooner or later on their success and focuses. No doubt this contributes to the downsizing. The true spirit and trend of franchising is to push most expenses on the franchises so the corporate "mother" can stay strong financially and be able to leverage the brand, I see WT doing that. However the franchises "congregations" aren't going to be sustainable in that regard, thus combining of congregations in KH's. I'm certain WT is modeled after top franchises business models.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit