Does anybody know the story with this?

by careful 3 Replies latest jw friends

• careful
    careful

There is a book entitled Untouchable by Jacob Miller published in 2010 (© by Angel Garcia). The cover says that it's about "the biggest Latino gangster ever recorded to be associated with the mafia." Ordinarily I could care less about things like that. However, I ran across the book when doing a quick google search on a biblical passage that I remembered (quicker than just looking it up) from the NWT, one that would not be rendered in any other Bible translation as I remembered it because it contained Freddie Franz's unique "systems of things" (1Cor. 10:11). The first hit on google was to this Untouchable book, so I unsuspectedly clicked it. What came up was one of those "teaser" partial electronic copies of a complete book with extended excerpts, actual pages from the book but which also lacked huge sections of it. The purpose, of course, is to get people to buy the book by teasing them with bits of it.

From the three-page Preface, dated April, 2008, which is presented in its entirety, I learned that the author Miller has written a book about a gangster, a Puerto Rican/NYer and an admitted murderer named Frankie, who "was a man of dualities, a veteran criminal to the bone but also a religious man aiming to improve himself" (17). Pages 375-381 (less p. 380) are in the electronic preview. Paragraph after paragraph on these pages contain quotations from the Bible exclusively out of the NWT. It is clear from them, as well as statements along with them that show JW theology, that whoever this Frankie character is, he converted to the Witness faith.

The story of that conversion is evidently told somewhere between p. 327 and 375 as those pages are missing in the preview. It's interesting that this link came up at the top of the search list because, as I understand it, google prioritizes its results in a search by the frequency of users who actually click on the link provided. That would mean this book must have some popularity. However, I did a search on Worldcat and no library in the world that is indexed in that database, a huge number of them, holds the book. Admittedly the market for it is pop culture, but it seems like a strange contradiction.

Whatever the case with that, if indeed some gangster/murderer-turned-brother has gone to a worldly writer to have his life's story told and that story is gruesome and shameful as any seriously involved gangster's life would be, and this brother has not paid his debt to society for his crimes, but is a member in good standing in some congregation (admittedly my speculations since the book sample is incomplete), this could present an embarrassing problem for the org and the GB, especially with all this child abuse exposure they are so actively running from. Again from the details in the Preface, "Frankie" had gone to a shady loan shark to get the money up front for Miller to publish his story, not a very positive thing for a brother to do, eh?

So does anyone know what the story is with this book and/or this "Frankie" guy (perhaps "Angel Garcia")? Does anyone know if the book's publication is now, or will become, a problem for the org? If nothing else, it bears watching.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    careful: The story of that conversion is evidently told somewhere between p. 327 and 375 as those pages are missing in the preview.

Careful, I think the search terms determine which pages are dropped out of the preview.

I did a search for "Jehovah" in the same book and came up with the missing pages concerning his conversion to the JWs.

I don't see this book as becoming a problem for the org - parts of it reads like a JW sermon. Good advertising. But probably a load of crap - why would anyone believe a gangster?

I think it is a kind of promo book for the JWs - "even bad guys can become good!"

Eh...the JWs will probably make sure there are copies placed in all the prison libraries.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

So does anyone know what the story is with this book and/or this "Frankie" guy (perhaps "Angel Garcia")? Does anyone know if the book's publication is now, or will become, a problem for the org? If nothing else, it bears watching.

I know nothing about it. However, what you explain may be true, but I think the facts have to be proven. First, is the book a memoir, and autobiography, fiction, a biographic story from the point of view of an outsider about another person? Then, is it verifiable that the person was in fact a JW, became a JW, stayed a JW, that is, what kind of connection if any exist(s/ed) between that person and the WT? Also, was the person's claims about the crimes committed verifiable? And if such relationship with the WT is verified that exist(s/ed), what if anything did the WT (a) know about it, and then (b) do about it?

With the information that you provide it's difficult to hold the WT responsible of anything related to a person that may or may not exist, that may or may not have committed crimes, and may and may not have had a connection with the WT.

I think that makes an interesting research project, thought.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

The book Untouchable by Jacob Miller is still in print. Amazon has copies for $23.99.

What I found interesting was a statement in the Author's Preface about the book. It said that the book "was based on a true story."

No doubt like a lot of films that also claim to be based on a true story, much of the book is fiction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit