Corollary to Minimus Meeting Poll: How Many of You ENJOYED Them?

by Room 215 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

As I think back over nearly a half century of going to meetings that I can count on one hand the number of meetings that I could label as inspirational or in the least bit exhilirating. I think many if not most JWs regard meeting attendance as a duty, or test of their perseverance, a sort of installment pre-payment on their idyllic post-Armageddeon homesite,

What about you? Was there ever a point in your life that you enjoywed and looked forward to going to the meetings?

• Spudinator
    Spudinator

I would disagree with much of what you said. The meetings provided a sense of belonging, and promoted thinking and speaking skills. A long with that, as a young person I was able to read and comprehend the Bible. Something that does not seem to be too common these days, alas.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Provided "thinking" skills!? Did I just read that?

Country Girl

• minimus
    minimus

Feeling the need to attend meetings is a sign of weakness. If you don't attend, you will eventually be asked if there's a problem. I'm sure some people enjoy talks and demonstrations and taking quizzes and answering questions. Some feel that being at meetings is actually a social event, just like some elders feel that elders meetings are a way to enjoy a "spiritual boy's club". Obviously I have not enjoyed them, huh?

• rocketman
    rocketman

Mostly, I did not look forward to them. On certain occasions I did, but mostly becasue of some of the people there; it was nice socializing. But once the chairman (me on occasion) called for the opening song, it was a very quick downhill slide from there.

• proplog2
    proplog2

I never miss a meeting. Even when I don't go.

• freedom96
    freedom96

There was nothing useful about going to the meetings. The only part I enjoyed was talking to my friends. Other than that, it was a complete waste of time.

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

If you asked anyone what the meeting was about most didn't have a clue. Why? Borrrring. One time the C.O. told the brothers flat out their talks were boring. Why? They were all based on the same old W.T. rehash. I remember one brother who came to give public talks who was a teacher. His talks were super-interesting. One time he brought a few worldly books onto the platform and read a few lines from them. He got into big trouble for not keeping to his W.T. edited outline and not long after was taken off as an elder.

I always noticed that most people parked their bodies at the hall and allowed their thoughts to wander. So promoted thinking... sure... promoted thinking about other things.

• little witch
    little witch

The meetings are redundant, boring, and repetative.

That is why people back bite, gossip, and attack each other there. It is like chickens in a pen, they get bored and will peck each other to death!

• jws
    jws

I enjoyed going to meetings to see friends, but usually not for the talks.

I did enjoy them sometimes. Every once in a while, a speaker was gifted and got you interested from beginning to end. But that was rare - oh so rare. I can probably count those on one hand.

Other times I enjoyed it because it would deviate from the norm. I remember a circuit or district overseer bringing in a slideshow of a trip to some ancient lands. I really enjoyed seeing the pictures from these places, so I did enjoy some.

For the most part, it was so boring. I became an expert daydreamer. In fact, I think the JWs caused this trait. All through grade school, I did well, but the teachers always commented on my daydreaming in my report cards. During summer, when the drapes were open at the Hall and I could see trees, I'd watch them blow back and forth, dreaming I was out playing among trees. Or sometimes I could see a bird and watch them. There was a painting on the wall, I'd imagine being in that scenery. I'd try drawing (until my parents gave me dirty looks). I'd rehash the day's events and think about what I was going to do tomorrow. In short, ANYTHING, but concentrate on those boring talks. Not only boring, but repetative. Teach me something I don't know already!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit