How credible are NWT's critiques?: Allin and John 8:58. (2)

by Wonderment 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Hello McFLy?

All of this study and work to prove or disprove grammatical wording and translating of a word or a phrase to disprove that Christ claimed to be God.

These arguments are null and voided out by the facts that those around Jesus wanted to kill him for blasphemy.

That valid point seems to be lost on those who promote 'I have been' instead of 'I am' .

Jesus was in danger of being killed on more than one occasion for the blasphemy of claiming equality with God. Note that he never once tried to correct the crowd to say he was misunderstood.

Of course, common sense will not prevail with the JW apologist

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

TTSWYF: These arguments are null and voided out by the facts that those around Jesus wanted to kill him for blasphemy. Jesus was in danger of being killed on more than one occasion for the blasphemy of claiming equality with God. That valid point seems to be lost on those who promote 'I have been' instead of 'I am'

I would like to respectfully point out two points:

First, a question: "If the arguments [presented in this post] are null and voided by the facts that those around Jesus wanted to kill him for blasphemy" as you say, then why didn't those Jews bring up this most serious violation of Jewish law before the Sanhedrin, the ideal place to do so to get Jesus quickly killed? It seems that if that is the main argument you can come up with to prove the "I have been" defenders are wrong, then the very same argument is nulled by the fact that those very same Jews held back from presenting this accusation at this most relevant moment in the High Court of law.

Secondly, did you read the context presented in the article?" See below:

Does it take Jesus claiming to be God to prompt the Jews to kill him? No. It was even forbidden for others to say that Jesus was the Messiah. (John 9:22) And why was Stephen the martyr stoned to death? Stephen was stoned, not because he claimed to be God, nor because he claimed Jesus was God, but because he was proclaiming Jesus to be the heavenly-exalted Son of Man, the Messiah. (Acts 7.55-58)

Traditionalists seem to be also remiss of the context at hand. The truth is that Jews had been trying to kill Jesus prior to the “I am” statements, and afterwards: Mt. 12.14; 16.21; Mr. 3.6; John 5.18; 7.1; 7.19; 7.25; 10.31-33; 11.53. Their motives included: Sabbath breaking, ‘calling God his own Father,’ (John 5.18) blasphemy for saying, “I and the Father are one” (10.30), ‘making himself to be God (or, a god, NEB) being a man’ (10-33), for claiming: “I am God's Son” (10.36), for saying he was ‘doing the works of the Father,’ and being “in union with the Father” (10.38-39), for ‘performing many signs’ (11.47,53). Take note that in those occasions, Jesus did not do anything wrong. It was the Jews' perception of Jesus' actions that were wrong.

At Luke 4:23-29, the Jews tried to kill Jesus, not because he claimed to be God, but only because he brought out their hypocrisy and made them angry. Yes, the record shows that before Jesus spoke the “ego eimi” words at John 8:58, the Jews already were seeking to kill Jesus for simply claiming that ‘the truth he taught came from God.’ (John 7:16,19; 8:37, 8:40) Furthermore, consider this: Prior to Jesus' statement of verse 58 (ch. 8), he had “exposed” Jews for the following actions: ‘ignorance’ (John 8:14); of being ‘judgmental’ (8:15); of not ‘knowing’ Jesus and his Father, God (8:19,55); of impending death for their sinfulness (8:21,24); of being ‘worldly’ (8:23); of ‘unbelief’ (8:24,45); of being ‘slaves to sin’ (8:32-34); of ‘murderous intentions’ (8:37,40); of ‘not following Abraham's example’ (8:39,40); of ‘indifference’ to Jesus' preaching (8:37,43); of ‘having deaf ears’ (8.47); of being ‘children to the Devil’ (8:44); of ‘not observing the word of the Father’ (8:38,55); of ‘dishonoring’ Jesus (8:49); of being ‘liars’ (8:55), all in one chapter.

That's a lot of incriminations brought up by Jesus against the Jews in just one brief encounter. Any of these alone would suffice to get the Jews upset. Add to that the build-up of previous encounters leading to this one, and it's easy to see why the Jews felt they could no longer tolerate this man in their land. But it was their intention to kill Jesus all along. The 8.58 incident where Christ asserts his “superiority” over Abraham (historically, the most distinguished of all Jewish ancestors) was ‘the straw that broke the camel's back.’

This must have been why scholar Ernst Haenchen explained the Jews' accusations as a ‘mistake’: “The Jews are therefore completely mistaken when they accuse him [Jesus] of blasphemy: he makes himself equal to God. He actually stands in the place of God as the one sent by him.” (John 2: A Commentary on the Gospel of John, Chapters 7-21 in Hermeneia, 1984, p. 30.)

At any rate, the Jews dared not to present their accusations (‘mistake’) where most relevant, at the Sanhedrin.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Wonderment-ultimately, the charges of Jesus's claims of divinity were brought before the Jewish leaders. That's why he was crucified.

You posted Secondly, did you read the context presented in the article?" See below:

Does it take Jesus claiming to be God to prompt the Jews to kill him? No. It was even forbidden for others to say that Jesus was the Messiah. (John 9:22) And why was Stephen the martyr stoned to death? Stephen was stoned, not because he claimed to be God, nor because he claimed Jesus was God, but because he was proclaiming Jesus to be the heavenly-exalted Son of Man, the Messiah. (Acts 7.55-58)

What nonsense. Of course they wanted to kill him for blasphemy. Why else would they want to kill Jesus? For saying 'I have been'? How ridiculous is that argument? Scripture says explicitly that it was because Jesus made himself equal to God. Read the text instead of posting nonsense void of reason. Lying for the truth is still lying and your thoughtful answers are decayed with common sense and reason...sorry

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I agree with clambake

Clambake5 days ago

Read the entire the book and chapter . If you can't figure out the author intent you are absolutely retarded.

Christian theology isn't based on fighting over single verses or arguing over indefinite articles etc etc.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Wonderment, the length of your article demonstrates just how fruitless it is to attempt to find any coherent conclusive message in the Bible.

Many if not most of the characters mentioned in the Bible are not real but ancient folk-story or mythical characters put into Hebrew dress. How can one argue about the words of mythical people? There is no evidence for the existence of Moses. He is an elaboration and amalgam of an earlier Egyptian story line.

The Bible is not the work of an invisible deity... it is entirely the work of scribes or amanuenses working for the ruling elite of their time. Truth was never the purpose of writing...holding on to power is the force behind the selection of all of the Bible texts.

To find an incontrovertible and coherent pattern in the scriptures is as futile as catching the wind.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

TTWSYF: Wonderment - ultimately, the charges of Jesus' claims of divinity were brought before the Jewish leaders. That's why he was crucified. Scripture says explicitly that it was because Jesus made himself equal to God.

Yes, the charges of Jesus' claims by the Jews were brought before the Sanhedrin to be condemned. But Jesus was charged, not for claiming that the "I am" meant he was God, as you seem to suggest, but from his own admission for being "the Son of Man," ‘the Messiah,’ ‘the Son of God’ when interrogated, which is totally different. The Jews were fully silent on those previous accusations of John 5.18, John 8.58 and 10.31,33. (See Mark 14;61-64)

You quoted Clambake: Read the entire the book and chapter . If you can't figure out the author intent you are absolutely retarded.

Could you or Clambake make clear what this reference is about? I grabbed Allin's single article from the net, no mention of a "book" or "chapter" in it.

One more thing: JWs are often criticized, and rightly so, for being intolerant to other people's religious faiths and interpretations. Thus, your effort, and Clambake's (or anyone else's), to make this "personal" by ‘name calling’ others (such as "McFly," "retarded," etc.) for having a different understanding does not really help your cause or those of others who sincerely come to this website looking for the comprehension and tolerance they could not get at the Kingdom Hall. Is is not better for us all to leave the bitterness we once had as JWs, and enjoy this new found religious freedom from it all?

With best wishes!

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    McFly was a funny zing ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit