Are You Sure I shouldn't read that Apostate Literature?

by zophar 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zophar
    zophar

From the time I was a young pioneer, I wondered why JW’s could not accept when a householder offered to exchange literature with us /me. I just couldn’t picture Jesus being afraid of what another might argue. Obviously, Paul was familiar with other religions. And I don’t mean just the Jewish faith.

Acts 17:27, 28 NWT: . . .that they would seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us. 28 For by him we have life and move and exist, even as some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also his children.’

That same account mentions Epicurean and Stoic philosophers: “Eventually he got into a debate with some Epicurean and Stoic philosophers.” -The Voice Translation or as NWT says “disputing with him” I assume he disputed back to them! He surely knew of their philosophy and at least studied the fundamentals of their reasoning. He is brought to the Areopagus and, “they brought him to the rock outcropping known as the Areopagus, where Athens’ intellectuals regularly gathered for debate, and they invited him to speak.” The Voice So here is Paul, ready for the Philosophical debate. How different from the mentality of the modern JW today. The Reasoning Book had a listing for philosophy, very interesting: rs p. 288 Philosophy – “As used here, philosophy is not built on acceptance of belief in God, but it tries to give people a unified view of the universe and endeavors to make them critical thinkers.” Ah ha! there is the rub, we can’t have any of that critical thinking, now can we? Notice this Service Meeting Part from 1992:

*** km 5/92 p. 2 Service Meetings for May ***

15 min: Protect Yourself From Apostasy. Discussion between an elder and a publisher seated at a table. Publisher explains that he met someone in service who has been reading apostate literature. Publisher tells elder he feels householder was sincere in questions he raised. Publisher refused householder’s offer of apostate publication but would like to try to answer householder’s questions. Elder commends publisher for his good attitude and actions. Rather than discuss what apostates have written or said, it is wise to concentrate on Scriptural viewpoint of matters as set forth in Reasoning book.

How unfair for the “unbelieving mate” who goes to a Church. They are invited to go to the Kingdom Hall and miss their Church meeting, while the JW “believing mate” will not reciprocate for fear of being an Apostate. Does that even have the ring of reasonability?

I know this is nothing new, just allows me to vent. It came about because I was reading some of the earlier posts, especially On The Way Outs encounter with the JW’s on his sidewalk. He brought up some really excellent points to no avail of course. But I was thinking, what if we could tell them that they don’t need to read anything Apostate. Are they allowed to watch video of their GB members, is that permissible? Then suggest they watch an unedited interview by a Government sanctioned authority with Geoffrey Jackson. (The full transcript is available as well: https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/file-list/Case%20Study%2029%20-%20Transcript%20-%20Jehovahs%20Witnesses%20-%20Day%20155%20-%2014082015.pdf

Here is just a very small portion:

Q. And do you see yourselves as Jehovah God's spokespeople on earth? A.That I think would

seem to be quite presumptuous to say that we are the only spokesperson that God is using.

I know, many of us have tried to do just that but can’t break through. As was mentioned in the OTWO post, maybe we can plant a seed and they will think.

And now, to Saint Stephen’s Feast or Boxing Day! As an arrogant Yank, I just learned what that December 26 Holiday was all about in England and Canada.

• Jayk
    Jayk

Some apostate material from my understanding is spitballing like "the org was designed to make people leave and turn to satan". Most likely it was made to take money from ignorant people.

• Sunworshipper805
    Sunworshipper805

For what it's worth, I think planting seeds can work. It's just slow as hell. A good 10 years before I started to fade I heard an alternate explaination for Revelation. Along the lines of Revelation having been fulfilled in the 1st century. It stuck in my head. Little bits of knowledge add up.

• Sunworshipper805
    Sunworshipper805

I was really slow to read Apostate stuff. I wasn't afraid of it, I just thought it would just make it harder on me. I had enough reasons to want out, going to meetings made me miserable, but I had no choice at the time if I wanted to see my kids and grandkids. Once I did read it and found other people thought the same it felt great.

• zophar
    zophar

Sunworshipper805

Agreed, once the thought is implanted you either have to investigate OR you are not a genuine person are you? Cognitive dissonance is a terrible thing but it is finally in the end no excuse. We each have our own load of responsibility to carry.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

An ignorant dogmatic religious cult where the top leaders propagate their own selective information toward upholding power and control over people is usually dangerous, harmful and innately corrupt.

The Watchtower Corporation is just one of many.

• Steel
    Steel

Stupid question?

Is apostate literature considered just anti wts stuff or just any Christian literature that isn't published by the Borg.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

All Christian literature that isn`t published by the Borg is considered apostate literature simply because Christendom itself is regarded as apostate and does not agree with WT/JW teachings.

Funny thing though WT/JW accept the findings of the early apostate church as to what books should be included in the Bible and of course not wanting to align themselves with Catholics they sided with the protestant version.

Another funny thing { to me anyway } is their acceptance of the name "Jehovah" for God a name that was invented by a Spanish Catholic monk of the 13th Century simply because it was in common usage by an organization they definetely view as Apostates ?

On the one hand the claim Christendom hid the name of God Jehovah and on the other hand they claim it was the most familiar name in Christendom ?

Which is it WT/JW ?

The name Jehovah has been inscribed in stone on Churches throughout the world since the 13th Century.

The WT printed a publication for the 1963 (I think) International Convention that had photo`s of Churches all around the world that either had the Tetragrammaton or the very name Jehovah inscribed in stone on centurys old buildings.

• jws
    jws

When I was a JW, I really wanted to hear the apostate side.

I remember once at a convention, they had printed up pamphlets/tracts that looked like Watchtowers and put them on people's windshields while we were in the convention. I LOVED parody. I LOVED Mad magazine that had parody copies of things all the time. These things were parodying Watchtowers! Cool! Were they funny? Would they be some religious discussion over my head? I wanted to get my hands on one, but attendants were gathering them all up before I could get my hands on one.

I asked my dad if he could help get me one. He told me they were from apostates and explained what apostates were. My attitude was so what? So they say something against us? Don't we have the truth? Aren't we God's organization? Whatever they printed in those tracts surely must have a logic flaw. Let's just get one, figure out the logic flaw, then show it to them. Then they won't be against us anymore.

But if there are no logic flaws in their statements, then what are we doing here? I didn't think that at the time. Years later I did.

And what's wrong with apostates? They go door-to-door every day and have discussions with people with opposing viewpoints. People part of Satan's organizations. And yet, if that discussion is with somebody who used to be one of us, it's more dangerous? That doesn't make sense.

I suppose I was on my way out since I was little.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit