Here's another JW / JW adjacent in the national news

by La Capra 3 Replies latest jw friends

• La Capra
    La Capra

I saw this story on a national news broadcast and said to myself, "hey, that's the same Ian Rogers that was in my congregation."

I tracked down a local article to confirm it was the same person, even though I recognized him immediately and he looks just like his dad did 35 years ago (except for the hair color).

https://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/mother-of-napa-garage-owner-ian-rogers-describes-gun-collecting-right-wing-views-in-years/article_9c823a90-6cd2-5c54-9f76-26203b17fe31.html

Things the congregation leadership did to his mom during those mid-80s years were elemental to my disassociation in 1987--I wrote them down on paper as I was sorting out my decision.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Just curious...what did the congregation leaders do to his mom?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

La Capra:

That took place in my old stomping grounds. Small world.

• La Capra
    La Capra

Biahi,

Since the article says her name, I am declining to disclose what happened. It was appalling and mortifying that it "got out" and spread through the community. If she could be embarrassed like that, any woman in the congregation could. It was the last thing I ever wanted to happen to me. And she had no control over it-not what was done to her (not by her), or that she was the one disciplined, rather than the doer, or that everyone found out.

I felt a lot of compassion for her. She was probably the last person I ever did service time with before I quit. (I actually had already made my decision and was waiting for a certain event to pass before I went public.)

She later left, or was disfellowshipped, or something. I am not exactly sure, because I had already left. But I had some non JW related contact with her during the few years immediately after I left.

That was when she doing normal non-JW things that would have gotten her marked at a minimum. It was nothing sinful or even questionable-just career related endeavors. But this was the late 1980's in the wine country, when, special needs talk or no, members were marking each other (and talking about it) if they "heard" you were letting your kids watch MTV.

If she is in regular contact with her son, who is definitely not JWing, maybe that means she never completely returned to the fold.

She was always very kind, sincere, and real with me. I hope she is OK.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit