Sam Waksal sentenced

by Shakita 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Shakita
    Shakita

This just in...

Former ImClone CEO Waksal Gets 87 Months in Prison
    Tue June 10, 2003 12:58 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Samuel Waksal, the former head of biotech company ImClone Systems Inc., was sentenced on Tuesday to 87 months in prison and ordered to pay $3 million in fines for tax evasion and his role in insider-trading.

At a hearing in a Manhattan courtroom, U.S. District Judge William Pauley also ordered Waksal to pay restitution of $1.26 million.

Waksal pleaded guilty last October to six felony counts related to insider trading, and in March, he pleaded guilty to charges he evaded taxes on $15 million worth of art he purchased. He had been named in a 13-count indictment in August 2002, accusing him of bank and securities fraud and obstruction of justice.

Prosecutors alleged Waksal tried to sell his ImClone shares ahead of a public announcement that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration would reject the company's highly touted new cancer drug, called Erbitux.

Decorating expert Martha Stewart, a friend of Waksal's and CEO of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc., was dragged into the investigation in June 2002 when news surfaced that she had sold nearly 4,000 ImClone shares in December 2001, just before the bad news about Erbitux came out.

---------------------------------------------------

7 years and 3 months in prison, makes me wonder how hard they will be on Martha.

Mrs. Shakita

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oh my!

Martha, Martha, Martha.......

I guess it proves you gotta watch your association, or just don't take their advise?

Katie (of the there goes my party planning ideas......sigh)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit