Voting

by Gary 61 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gary 61
    Gary 61

Do Jehovah witnesses vote in politics? General elections and so on!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

No ... They must be strictly neutral in political matters. They should not even be heard to express an opinion. Voting is a serious sin for a baptized Witness.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

As far as I was raised and understand its a firm NO WAY, however, in print, they cannot outright tell you not to. It has something to with their status as a charity, or non-profit religious group. So on paper, I think there is nothing that prohibits it directly, but in reality they'd df your ass.

I think...

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS policy is a little different in countries where citizens are required to vote such as Australia. I understand if jws don't vote they are fined a small amount like $40. But they can go in and vote for a nonsense person and in writing the WTS has said they won't punish them.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/search/?q=voting+australia

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

In short, no you can't vote and remain a Witness. While they don't technically disfellowship (excommunicate) someone for that, they say that by such action one has "disassociated themselves." Which basically amounts to the same thing, perpetual shunning. (Interestingly, this is also how they handle someone who voluntarily receives a blood transfusion.)

• blondie
    blondie

Voting in political elections. True Christians respect the right of others to vote. They do not campaign against elections, and they cooperate with elected authorities. However, they remain resolutely neutral with regard to the political affairs of the nations. (Matthew 22:21; 1 Peter 3:16) What should a Christian do in lands where voting is compulsory or in a situation where feelings run high against those who do not go to the voting booth? Remembering that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego went as far as the plain of Dura, a Christian, under similar circumstances, may decide to go to the booth if his conscience permits. However, he will take care not to violate his neutrality.

• “God’s Love” p. 213-214
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Does anybody think that in bible times people were ignorant, disinterested and uninvolved in what was going on? I doubt it.

• Chook
    Chook

All religious politics is determined by votes, theocratic voting is to make sheep think it is gods guidance .They vote MS,Elders ect ect all the way to the top. Who sells most books gets most votes.

• steve2
    steve2

Visit JW.org - it outlines JWs beliefs and practices.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit