"Why confessing to the elders

by MacHislopp 3 Replies latest jw friends

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

Someone asked me references in the "commentary to james' book
    something relating to the "confessing of sins "…here are some points:

*** cj 204-7 Chapter 5 *** (published in 1979)

Loving Aid to Overcome Sin

16 Therefore openly confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may get healed. A righteous man’s supplication, when it is at work, has much force
    16 Therefore openly confess your sins to one another and pray for one another

How encouraging toward ‘openly confessing sins to one another’ if the sincerely repentant wrong-doer knows that those to whom he confesses are primarily interested in helping him ‘get healed’ of his spiritual sickness! However, if such a repentant one felt that the elders would automatically deal with him as one meriting a reprimand before the whole congregation as a ‘practicer of sin,’ the effect would be quite different.
    Such a feeling could create a barrier between the congregational shepherds and those sorely needing their help to overcome a drift into continued wrongdoing.

On the other hand, where confidence existed that the elders would take into account one’s sincerity in wanting to turn away from the wrong course or attitude, being desirous of never going back to it, this would surely be an encouragement to call upon the older men for assistance, and to respond to their help as would an ailing sheep to that of its conscientious shepherd.—Contrast Psalm 23:1-5 with Ezekiel 34:4."

and

"…This confessing is not like a “confessional” arrangement where one is viewed as obligated to appear and confess all sins in order to obtain absolution from guilt in the eyes of God.

Although James had previously made specific mention of the congregation elders with regard to sick ones needing aid, he here says to “confess your sins to one another,” not limiting the matter to certain ones within the congregation. While this is so, it is reasonable that the one confessing his sins would seek a person who could be of real help to him in a spiritual way.

Along with the desire to unburden himself, he doubtless desires the counsel and prayer of another. Galatians 6:1, 2 speaks of the readjusting of one who takes a false step and shows that it is those “who have spiritual qualifications” who are in a position to do this.

Elders should have such qualifications, and others in the congregation may also have these.

A woman, for example, may seek the help of a Christian sister, possibly someone older than she is, as is indicated by Paul’s counsel at Titus 2:3-5.

Thus the source of the help is not limited to a certain few; the important thing is that the person have “spiritual qualifications.”

James shows that the object and result of this humble seeking for help should be a brotherly (or a sisterly) interest manifested in prayer to Jehovah on behalf of the one confessing the fault…"

And also:

"….One who has been spiritually sick or downhearted because of some sin may call for the healing help of another brother’s prayer. "

Remember that , 2 years before publishing the book " Commentary to James…"
    This was written in a watchtower article:

*** w77 11/15 693 Genuine Repentance-How Is It Identified? ***

“A heart broken and crushed, O God, you will not despise.”—Ps. 51:17.

ELDERS are not ‘father confessors’ who have been authorized to forgive all the sins that members of the congregation may commit.

It is Jehovah God who forgives the sins of repentant ones, doing so on the basis of his Son’s atoning sacrifice. Therefore, a person’s being forgiven by Jehovah is not dependent upon his confessing his sins to the elders. (1 John 1:8, 9; 2:1, 2)

However, by serious transgression, a person can also sin against the congregation. This is the case because gross wrongdoing can bring much reproach and trouble upon the congregation with which the wayward one is associated. Hence, elders representing the congregation should make sure that the individual is genuinely repentant before extending forgiveness to him for the bad name that he has given to the congregation."

So where is this obligation? Any comments?

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

P.S. Btw, what about all those cases of " sexual abuse on minors"???

• patio34
    patio34

Hi MacHislop,

One thought on going to the elders to confess would be comparable to going to the police station to 'confess' a crime. Everyone does that, right?

And, as you hightlight, the James vss. don't say that, but the WT has appropriated it to themselves incorrectly.

How do they differ from a priest in a confessional? Only in that the priest isn't going to disfellowship you and is obligated to keep it confidential AND he doesn't even know who the person is!

Bah! Humbug!

Patio

• nojw86
    nojw86

And its also easier to confess in a confessional and not have all those eyes looking at you. nojw

• jurs
    jurs

I've confessed before to the elders. Once for smoking and once for getting drunk before going to the ice capades and puking in the bathroom all through it. While confessing, other sins popped into my mind so I was there awhile. I'm sure it was entertaining. I felt sooooo awful. I was disiplined but not in a harsh way. That was over a year ago and I never regained one of the privledges I lost. I never understood the disipline part. My disipline was that I couldn't auxilry pioneer. Didn't make sense to me!
    JURS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit