The Danger of Settlements

by Tech49 182 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm kind of on the fence regarding settlements vs penalties.

Which has the greater chance of tapping the Org dry and/or crippling it?

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

The things is...many of these cases mentioned...the victim has gone public, has done interviews, had press release and their story published for all to see and the the victims seem to be motivated, not by money, but by highlighting the dangers of WT policy and trying to foster change within the WT.

Then the WT offers a settlement along with a NDA and boom the victim gets compensation but can't tell any details...the exact thing they were trying to do...to get change...just doesn't get done when you accept a settlement.

The fact so many settle without any change is disheartening...ask a dub who Conti is and 99% won't know yet she is probably the most famous victim...

Of course the victims are fully entitled to all they can get considering what they have suffered but I find it confusing to read about a victim and all what they want to do to the WT and alert many people to the dangers of WT child abuse policies and effect change only for them to take a settlement and disappear...case closed and no change to WT child abuse policies.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    penalties or fines

Is a punishment for breaking the law. What law is wt breaking?

Why do you want to cripple wt?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Fisherman: Why do you want to cripple wt?

Are you stupid or just being daft? You've been here for 13 years and you haven't figured that one out?

You think it is a good thing that JWs protect pedophiles, don't you. Why on earth wouldn't you want a cult that has people refuse blood and die and that has pedophiles protected by elders to continue to exist?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Fisherman - "Why do you want to cripple WT?"

I can't cripple it. I haven't the resources.

I would like to see it crippled, though, because it sorely deserves that fate multiple times over.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I don't care if WT goes down by being crippled by lawsuits or fines, crash and burn, shrivel on the vine, death by a thousand cuts...

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    I would like to see it crippled, though, because it sorely deserves that fate multiple times over.

Why?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    you haven't figured that one out?

Figured what out? What have you figured out that Watchtower is doing illegally? Or is it that you don't like wt for some personsal reason? If that is how you feel, you can feel what you like and so will everybody else. But if you have legislation that shows that wt has violated US law show it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Regardless of whether or not they've broken laws (what you seem to only be concerned with, and, BTW, I suspect they have broken), they deserve an ignominious fate for the ethical offenses they're responsible for.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Where did I say anything about law? Why are you so fixated on that one aspect of the JWs? Is it because you can't defend their actions ethically or scripturally or in any other way but legally? I get it, they get off on legal technicalities. I will say though that they do break laws when they don't obey mandatory reporting laws and conveniently try to decide what side of the clergy argument they are on. They do break laws when it comes to service to countries that require that too and end up in jail. They also break laws like perjury when they engage in "theocratic warfare", or lying as normal humans call it, to further their own cause. That doesn't mean that they always get caught, but let's not act like Jehovah's Witnesses are above breaking laws, particularly when it stands to benefit them.

And again I say that you have been on here for 13 years and somehow still don't get it. That is sad. Why are you so happy to defend an organization that creates an environment where so many children get hurt. Why fisherman, why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit