The Danger of Settlements

by Tech49 182 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Richard Oliver, in the Conti case, did the jurisdictional prosecuting agency find enough evidence to charge Kendricks with the crime of violating Candace?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Richard Oliver, do you believe that they should be responsible when accusations are brought to elders and not dealt with? Once they know, do you find the Watchtower responsible?
  • Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver
    How about you answer my question and then I will answer your question?
  • Landy
    Landy
    Richard Oliver, do you believe that they should be responsible when accusations are brought to elders and not dealt with? Once they know, do you find the Watchtower responsible?

The problem is is there's that many variations on scenario it renders your question meaningless.

The only situation in which the WT could share any responsibility is if an accusation is made, the elders advise the parents not to go to the police and the offender reoffends.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

What question do you want me to answer? I never asserted that JWs should be responsible for all abuse of children. They can't know about everything.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Lol, let's get specific then Landy. Should Watchtower be responsible in the Fessler case?

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

My question is do you think that Watchtower should be liable for the actions of a third party's illegal actions just because they are an associate of a congregation?

And I do believe that if Elders don't report due to a good faith belief that they are barred from doing so under the clergy-penitent privilege then they should not be held liable.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Haven't I already answered that Richard?

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver
    If you have I must be an idiot. Please answer it?
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

How is it that a third party should be held responsible for the illegal actions of someone else ?

In general practice no but where the WTS was found guilty in so many times is actively knowing of these serious egregious crimes and not making any positioning notice toward the law authorities or persuading its members to not report these circumstances to the law authorities, rather instead handling the situations on their own accord and due action.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit