The Danger of Settlements

by Tech49 182 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Here, let me get this back on topic again. How awesome is it when Jehovah's Witnesses donate their hard earned dollars toward helping those hurt by their cult to recover. I mean, it's like JWs actually do something charitable for once. Sure, the money has to be legally ripped from their wretched hands, but it is so great to see them lose that money. I hope it helps their victims find peace and makes changes in the organization, however unlikely.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Well said dubstepped

Its honestly perceivable that some people used and exploited the way the WTS handled situations of child sexual abuse in knowing of the two witness rule and that the organization would not make their activity known to local law authorities.

Child sexual offenders are notorious to re-offend, that's part of the reason law authorities put them under close watchful regulation even when they are released from jail.

A religoius organization or whatever should not be a place where sexual predators can be harbored or handled indiscriminately by the organizations themselves, which at most is done so to protect the outside image of that organization.

There should be a clearly laid out laws that would enforced open public disclosure within in all of these institutions.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Finkelstein: Child sexual offenders are notorious to re-offend, that's part of the reason law authorities put them under close watchful regulation even when they are released from jail.
    A religoius organization or whatever should not be a place where sexual predators can be harbored or handled indiscriminately by the organizations themselves, which at most is done so to protect the outside image of that organization.

Consider too, that the org targets convicted offenders before they are even released from custody.

The JWs conduct organized visits inside the penal system and, it is quite likely that the religion becomes part of some convicts release conditions - where the elders continue those Bible Studies they started on the inside.

Apparently, from what I have read about the JWs' prison visits, the religion acts as sponge for some offenders while they are still in jail. Some prisons have active congregations that recruit and hold meetings inside. Becoming a JW provides a protective space for them upon release. Parole approved activities - hanging out with the JW congregation. In the company of those elders who studied with them before they were released from jail.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Here, let me get this back on topic again Dubstepped

The subject matter of this thread is "settlements" as it relates to watchtower's legal court settlements. That is the context of my posts on this thread before you trolled* me, taking the thread off topic.

I hope it helps their victims find peace and makes changes in the organization, however unlikely. dubstepped

If you are refering to wt court settlements, how do such settlements establish that Plaintiffs vs wt are victims of wt?

*"and I trolled him" - Dubstepped

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    upon release. Parole approved activities -OC

That is decided by the Courts.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Becoming a JW provides a protective space for them upon release. Parole approved activities - hanging out with the JW congregation.

......and that shouldn't be since those congregations are full of children whose parents assume the other JWS adults there are perceived to be trust worthy wholesome living people.

The Candace Conti case is a perfect example of how this kind of approach in handling people with this social mental sickness is wrought with dangerous futility..

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Orphan Crow:

I do accept your concern about Witnesses preaching to convicted child abusers, but even though these individuals have done horrible stuff they are still humans and have to live a life following their release. These individuals are going to be released for the most part at one point or another, if we like it or not. Prison is supposed to rehabilitate people that is why they are called correctional institutions, it is not supposed to punish people beyond getting people to become rehabilitated But you are right, unfortunately, not everyone who serves their full prison sentences are rehabilitated nor is it possible for some people to ever be rehabilitated, but they are still released from prison. It happens all the time, when correction officials inform a community that a dangerous offender is going to be released, and people go out there and protest the release, but time and time again officials say that they have no choice, the person fulfilled their sentence and has to be released. But what is my point here, it is that these people no matter what we think of them personally are still humans and still have rights that must be respected. It is still their choice if they want to become a Witness or not to associate with people that they choose, not where prohibited by law, and to live their life as normally as possible.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Yeah, you can't keep pedophiles out of the organization, but you can take all accusations to the police and go above and beyond to take allegations seriously. If someone is hurt, you can reach out to them and offer real professional counseling and offer to pay for it if you allowed perpetrators to continue. JWs could just be good human beings instead of asshats and could limit their own damages. Few are suing them if they just handled their business better and didn't set themselves up as the ultimate authority to those inside. And under no circumstances should pedophiles ever go door to door, ever.
  • Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

My problem with many of these comments is that, you believe that Watchtower should pay no matter what if a member abuses a child. Let's go with this scenario, a man abuses 3 children, it does not come to the Elders attention that he has abused anyone until that third child was abused, the elders report the man to the police. Should Watchtower be financially responsible for the criminal act of that man against those three children or just to the last two children? How is it that a third party should be held responsible for the illegal actions of someone else. If you have a child and they are an adult and they commit a crime, are you financially responsible for your child's illegal actions? Should their victims come after you because your son is associated with you? If I am a member of the Kawana's club and I go and rob someone are the Kawana's club responsible for my actions because I am a member? Of course not, because they have no control of my actions when I am not with them and even when I am with them, they are not liable for everything that I do.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Where did I say that they should pay in all cases? Or are you referring to someone else?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit