On Censorship

by Francois 3 Replies latest social current

• Francois
    Francois

This topic has come up a few times on JWD, and I feel like there are a wide variety of opinions, viewpoints, and outlooks concering it. Naturally as a professional journalist for most of my life, I have some finely tuned opinions about it myself - largely unexpressed. I fear if I let fly with my unvarnished, raw opinions I would likely piss off not a few people here and I really don't want to do that - at least not where this topic is concerned.

HOWEVER my philosophical feelings about it can be expressed with much more subtlety via the use of a poem I wish I'd written, but whose true author is Mason Williams. Now is as good a time as any. Those of you who are of my vintage may remember it from the Smothers Brothers' Comedy Hour and the reign of Lyndon B. Johnson as defined by the Vietnamese War.

I invite you to ruminate, verily, to ponder the implications of the desire to essay censorious remarks, and more, to wit (and slightly modified, for which apologies are profusely offered):

The Censor sits
    Somewhere between
    The words to be seen
    And the screen which sees With his scissor purpose poised
    Watching the human stuff
    That will sizzle through
    The magic wires
    And light up
    Like welding shops
    The ho-hum web sites of the world
    And with a kindergarten
    Arts and crafts concept
    Of moral responsibility
    Snips out
    The rough talk
    The unpopular opinion
    Or anything with teeth
    And renders
    A pattern of ideas
    Full of holes
    A doily
    For your mind

Your comments are solicited, nay, humbly requested.

francois

• minimus
    minimus

Francois, break it down for the average guy and gal please.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"a doily for your mind" lol, classic.

How about posting the original as well? I'm curious what "the ho-hum websites of the world" replaced?

• Satanus
    Satanus

'a doiley for your mind'

My mind often converts things to images or patterns, for me. I can picture up to maybe 90% of the people walking around w doileys of one kind or another on their heads. Of course, i wouldn't have one;) Well, maybe not.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit