Something nice, non-jw

by FadeToBlack 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I was out with my 4 dogs last night around 10:30 under a bright moon. It was frosty (-4 C). I heard some noise in the field behind my house (my backyard is a national forest). It sounded like giants fighting with wooden swords. Turns out it was just 2 adult male moose. Nobody got hurt and they went their separate ways, just some pushing and shoving . Moose are non-territorial.

• possum
    possum
    That would have been great to see and hear.You're keen at 4- to take take dogs out! We have seen a whale recently (with binoculars) and it seems we have a wombat hide in the garden spied him/her in the garden. Nothing can replicate the wonder of nature.
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I love it too possum. Last spring we had a fox den across the street (30m away). It was so pleasant to watch the 4-6 young kits play outside the den. On the down side, I hate hearing the hares get eaten alive. Horrible sound, but part of nature.

• Simon
    Simon

You don't realize how huge Moose are until you see them up-close in the wild !

If you're going into battle against Dwarves, you definitely want to be on a Moose.

Seeing wild animals up close is great. We get deer in our neighbourhood fairly regularly, they sometimes spend the night in our yard or next to the house. Nothing like going out and becoming vaguely aware that something is near you while you're locking the door and then seeing a pair of antlers and eyes watching you from a couple of yards away,

• possum
    possum
    At least the hares are killed and eaten for a purpose (not mindless hunting). Foxes are considered a feral pest here and I don't think they have any left in Tasmania Would be sweet to watch the kits grow. We have to be very careful as the abundance of wildlife here means we have alot of roadkill. Wombats, wallabies, echidnas and possums. Its pretty dangerous to hit some to these full grown but nothing like the prospect of running into a mousse!
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Agree about the moose Simon. I have seen fully-antlered males just outside my fence (2-3 m) . I was shocked how big they are. He just looked up (not worried) and went about his way. They only have one problem here, autos.

I have seen about everything possible here, except lynx. They are still being reintroduced - probablly to reduce deer population.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    @possum. I agree. I hate it when I see city people here hunting pheasant. I go outside and start making as much noise as possible. I have nothing against hunting if you need to put food on the plate. I would probably starve.
  • possum
    possum
    I must admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I eat meat but I confine my hunting to the meat aisle at the supermarket. Mr. Possum catches the occasional fish to eat (delicious). But like you if it was up to me we'd starve.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

While working security at Universal Studios - the movie sets not the amusement park - I ran into a small family group of deer (There's some green space there). I could only get within 30-40 feet of them. I've also had to stop my vehicle in order to let a mother duck and her adorable ducklings cross the road.

There were also reports of a mountain lion there which required that an armed guard be stationed by the employee's daycare center. I've also seen them in the flood control channels of LA.

• Sabin
    Sabin

We looked after a dog for a couple who went on holiday in what I can only describe as snake heaven. In the middle of summer, humidity in the 90's in a house that has a tin roof & no air-conditioning. You would open the door to see Eastern Browns, Taipans, Red bellies all snakes, all venomous. So I go to bed leaving my hubby watching t.v. Just dozing off when he starts shouting, so I run down stairs just as he is coming up with his arms out stretched to protect me, swearing his head off. As he had been watching t.v. a snake went through his legs, he froze until it had passed. Cause he only had the light from the t.v. & a small lamp we couldn't see it properly only that it was about 6 foot, & the dog wouldn't go near it. So we got in the truck, left everything unlocked & on & drove home.

The next day thinking it was most likely a Python we went back looking for it. We pulled everything out even the oven, no sign. In the main living area there was a big book shelf with a big bowl on the top & my hubby decided that it was in there. So, he got a stick reached up & gently tapped on the bowl. He was right, it was in the book shelf, but not in the bowl. I saw his whole body go stiff, he turned his head & with a pale face & eye's like saucers said "I found the Snake" it was on the shelf by his head looking straight at him, thank God it was a python. It was so funny I just cracked up laughing at him. Some-one we know who keeps them came & got her & we decided we would take the dog back to our place to sleep. I have to say though she was beautiful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit