Fighting over table space with JWs

by compound complex 5 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

The Grammar Table, set up in Upper West Side Manhattan by Ellen Jovin, is the place to learn about the Oxford comma, gerunds, conjunctive adverbs, et al.

"On rainy days, the competition between word proselytizers and The Word proselytizers can be intense. 'I'm often in competition with Jehovah's Witnesses for the space,' she said. Earlier in the week, she found a favorite under-the-eave perch had been snagged. "My grammar books got rained on,' she said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/20/style/grammar-table-ellen-jovin.html

• compound complex
    compound complex

A class-action lawsuit about overtime pay for truck drivers hinged entirely on a debate that has bitterly divided friends, families and foes: The dreaded — or totally necessary — Oxford comma, perhaps the most polarizing of punctuation marks.

What ensued in the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, and in a 29-page court decision handed down on Monday, was an exercise in high-stakes grammar pedantry that could cost a dairy company in Portland, Me., an estimated $10 million.

In 2014, three truck drivers sued Oakhurst Dairy, seeking more than four years’ worth of overtime pay that they had been denied. Maine law requires workers to be paid 1.5 times their normal rate for each hour worked after 40 hours, but it carves out some exemptions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/us/oxford-comma-lawsuit.html

• stillin
    stillin

This is one dedicated woman. Now THAT'S a public service!

Coco, have you ever read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves?" Truly an entertaining little book for language buffs.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, stillin, fro replying.

I was beginning to despair of no one's commenting! Yes, I have read the above title and used it in class. My favorite lines:

The student, said the teacher, is crazy.

The student said the teacher is crazy.

World of difference, according to one's perspective.

Happy trails!

• jp1692
    jp1692

Punctuation saves lives:

• Let's eat grandma!

or:

• Let's eat, grandma!
  • stillin
    stillin

Then there's the old "truly I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." Versus " truly I say to you today, you will be with me in Paradise."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit