Animal Farm....

by Xandria 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Xandria
    Xandria

Have you ever notice how the WTS is like Animal Farm ???

Then, as usual, the sheep broke into "Four legs good, two legs bad!" and the momentary awkwardness was smoothed over. Finally Napoleon raised his trotter for silence and announced that he had already made all the arrangements. There would be no need for any of the animals to come in contact with human beings, which would clearly be most undesirable. He intended to take the whole burden upon his own shoulders. A Mr. Whymper, a solicitor living in Willingdon, had agreed to act as intermediary between Animal Farm and the outside world, and would visit the farm every Monday morning to receive his instructions. Napoleon ended his speech with his usual cry of "Long live Animal Farm!" and after the singing of Beasts of England the animals were dismissed.

Afterwards Squealer made a round of the farm and set the animals' minds at rest. He assured them that the resolution against engaging in trade and using money had never been passed, or even suggested. It was pure imagination, probably traceable in the beginning to lies circulated by Snowball. A few animals still felt faintly doubtful, but Squealer asked them shrewdly, "Are you certain that this is not something that you have dreamed, comrades? Have you any record of such a resolution? Is it written down anywhere?" And since it was certainly true that nothing of the kind existed in writing, the animals were satisfied that they had been mistaken.

Chapter 6

In the book the rules for interaction are always changing. As the book progresses~ the cry of "Four legs good, two legs bad!" changes... sounds familar. No! Voting ever... people sacrificed even, died to obey that dictate. Now it is, "NEW Light" and we find it all right to vote...?!

We are not BBBBBBBaaad, nor leeeaaad by our noses. We have the Silent Lambs, in the book the Lambs were easily lead and controlled. Are we militant lambs ?? or have we mutated ? What are your thoughts on this?

• Hamas
    Hamas

lol....

I was thinking about making a post concerning this, I just never got round to it.

I read it years ago, I just simply forgotten all the characters names. I would have made a fool of myself If I would have attempted that !

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

xandria,

I have a copy of the book Animal Farm back from my high school years. Recently I read it again and the similarity between this book and the watchtower are scary.

I wonder if they had Animal Farm in mind when they named Watchtower Farms

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Reading 1984 back in 2000 got me thinking about my JW situation. A crack in the door I guess. Animal Farm is on my list, George Orwell was brilliant, he is responsible for one of my favorite quotes:

The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection

• Xandria
    Xandria

It is scary! The omissions of wordings in Animal Farm is so like the WTS' s issues. The Confusion, the Betrayals, the constant changes in policies.

X.

• cornish
    cornish

very much so.

The similarities between the convenient subtle changes made in Animal Farm to the use (or abuse)of the so called ,'New Light' in the Borg is obvious.

The most well known one was the writing on the wall,the constitution,which had been quietly changed from 'All Animals are Equal,' to ,'All Animals are Equal ,but some animals are more equal than others.'

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

just to let you know that voting is not now acceptable. That qfr was a public misdirection

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

1984 too...

Orwell is fab... I was gutted my 20th Century English Literature course didn't include him in the required reading. I had a friendly altercation with a tutor about it; he said Orwell wasn't Lliterature. I told him that was as subjective opinion as me thinking T.S.Eliot being slightly preferable to castration with a blunt spoon, with the downside that castration can only happen once.

• jwsons
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

I teach high school English. I LOVE having my JW students read Animal Farm (as well as any other similar novel*). I tread lightly, but hope to plant seeds ...

* - My Short List of thought-provoking dystopian novels:

• Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (1932)
    • Anthem - Ayn Rand (1938)
    • Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell (1949)
    • Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (1953)
    • The Crucible - Arthur Miller (1953)
    • The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood (1985)
    • The Giver - Lois Lowry (1993)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit