Technical Difficulties

by Nosferatu 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I recall a convention quite a few years ago. It was the last day and I was sitting in that hard chair, bored as usual. Suddenly, the lights went out. The brother giving the talk said "Well, we still have sound so let's keep going". Man was I ever pissed off the sound didn't die. Someone had brought the brother a flashlight so he could look up the scriptures and see his notes. The lights finally got fixed, and they came on just in time for the closing prayer and song.

Anybody else experience technical difficulties at Kingdom Halls, Circuit and District Assemblies?

• Matty
    Matty

I remember some Twickenham (London) assemblies where the sound was so poor you couldn't really hear anything at all unless you were in certain parts of certain stands, and yet you still had to respectfully sit down during the sessions. The sound department used to go in panic mode and you would find brothers rushing around franticly moving speakers around and rewiring them. Then you'd hear massive feedback and then clipping, and then silence! I remember poor old Peter Ellis droning on for hours, and not one bloody person anywhere could hear him in the whole stadium. On reflection I guess it was just as well!

…Then they thought it was a good idea to put the French and the Spanish brothers in the same stadium, but use supposedly special "directional" speakers so that each language group would hear the sessions adequately in their own language. What really happened is that depending on how close you were to the other language group, you would actually hear all three at the same time, and the different language groups would clap at different times, interrupting the other speakers!

Needless to say the French and Spanish Assemblies are now generally at Bowes Road or Edgware circuit halls.

• Angharad
    Angharad

The best thing was when the tape / record player would break and we would have to sing without music. It never seemed to happen on a night when it was a song we knew like old faithful ' We're Jehovah's witnesses' it was always on a song that we hardly ever sang and no one seemed to know the tune too - half the hall would be singing to the tune of one song and half the hall to another and at different speeds

• qwerty
    qwerty

I used to love it when the sound system picked up the local radio station, or the emergency services (usualy the Police).

The poor sound servant would get the blame on occasions too! Heh heh!

Qwerty

• yxl1
    yxl1

I was in charge of draining the water pipes during the winter months at the Kingdon hall. One Thursday night I didnt bother,

and when we turned up on Sunday morning, the pipes had burst and the KingdomHall was flooded. I had the "privledge" taken

away from me!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit