Closest to the truth?

by punkofnice 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I've never heard 'closest to the truth' from the GB or publications. As others have suggested, it's just a way for R&F members to ease the cognitive dissonance.

I thought Blondie's post was interesting:

The WTS point is that God has aligned himself with the WTS just as he did the nation of Israel. Israel was considered the only way to worship the true God, even when Israel was tossing babies into the fire.

So, continuing the parallel with ancient Israel, worldly judges that send paedo-brothers to prison or fine the WT millions for covering up child abuse can be likened to the surrounding nations that Jehovah used to punish wayward Israel with ...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    As if "truth" was something tangible that you could sit next to, or pick up and take with you.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

LoveUniHateExams - "...So, continuing the parallel with ancient Israel, worldly judges that send paedo-brothers to prison or fine the WT millions for covering up child abuse can be likened to the surrounding nations that Jehovah used to punish wayward Israel with ... "

, indeed.

As far as I'm concerned, if any irate JW loyalist feels compelled to get in your face about the subject (not that any of them have the balls), I say throw that one at 'em with both f**king barrels.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

'Nearest' isn't good enough.

Good point LUHE.

• freddo
    freddo

Like some of you have posted already I think it is a phrase used by those (including most of us at one point?) who know something's up but don't want to face it. Often said ruefully or sadly by older "lifers".

E.g. "It's still the best way of life" or "we/they are right about the trinity" ... followed by "where else would we go?".

Some of us get through that phase and mentally check out. And some physically too.

• Spiral
    Spiral
    I remember my in laws saying that years ago, whenever some question about the Borg came up. I used to think "why do you need to go anywhere?" Sounded like they were saying "we're not smart enough to think on our own" - which, as it turns out, was exactly what they were saying.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Spiral - "...'why do you need to go anywhere?'..."

Hoo boy, that takes me back.

It doesn't always seem like it at the time, but it's quite the paradigm shift when you reach that point, IMO.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS/JWS successfully accomplished pointing out some inaccurate practices and doctrines by the other Christian faiths such as Catholicism but there are other religious organizations that did so as well.

The WTS inherently false doctrines came about and flourished for such a long time such as its proclamation that Christ has taken his heavenly throne in 1914 and mankind is now living in the last days etc. was false and not scripturally backed but was used strategically to help in the overall proliferation of the WTS's publications.

So where does the JWs come in as being closer to the truth might be somewhere in the middle.

There are other doctrines which might even lower the JWS down further such as the blood doctrine, forcing people to count their time preaching and so on.

• brandnew
    brandnew

This is my pops response...."IM 80,.....LEAVE ME BE"...😂😂😂

may i add he was smiling while saying that !!! 👅

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I remember an elder asking me where else I would go. I told him he hadn't read the scripture properly...it says to whom not where. He reported me to the BOE for apostacy. The next time I saw him he was shouting in the street at me..'Jehovah knows'....he sent a card to my then wife to say he was sorry for what I'd done...not him but blaming me, your beloved punk for ruining things. The next time I saw him, he blanked me and spoke to my then wife. He looked daggers at me and the then wife supported him not me. That's the power of this destructive cult. I understand he (Nic), is still a boneheaded twat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit