Welsh village catches up and goes over to Electricity

by mattnoel 4 Replies latest jw friends

• mattnoel
  • RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Matt. Some places in remote rural Canada used to be like that. Only, no generators. Just old fashioned everything.

Times have changed mind you, and they have electricity, telephones, running water and proper bathroom facilities.

I would have never have thought that there'd still be one tiny little place in Wales like that. Times certainly do and have changed haven't they?

Where I used to live as a kid/teenager, we didn't have a proper bathroom until the fall of 1976. We had well water, and no hot water. It was no fun, I remember that. Especially during a real cold night. If the one pipe from the well froze: that's it, nothing. I hated it.

The reality too is, many places on the globe are probably like that little community in Wales, only they have no generators.

I'm glad we're all (for the most part) living in modern times.

• meat pie
    meat pie

This is silly reporting of course, I for one have not lived with mains electricity since 1985.Some of that time I had no lekky, sometimes we had 12 volt wind power and sometimes (now) we have diesel generators/wind power/battery powered inverted electricity/ peace and quiet!

I think the point of the article is that it is a community (11 households) without mains lekky rather than scattered individual homes. There are loads of places without in Scotland and North of England without mains.

Disadvantages= fridge problem unless gas or battery powered.(But no temptation to keep food too long)

Advantages= lots; no standing charge, no blackouts,no being held to ransom by power companies, near total control over how much lekky is used, bringing up kids with an awareness that power comes at a price/cost,

I'll get off my high horse in a minute, but first here's an interesting note;a large wind farm might be built by us soon, and the only way to get the power down the way to feed into the national grid is through the middle of our farm,to sweeten the pill they may put the power back UP the way to us, 'sept we don't know if we really want it now!

Advantage of mains electricity; we could get planning permission to build/improve, sell on and b#gg%r off to somewhere more remote!

( We are also fortunate enough to have real water too)

Meaty pie ( not microwaved)

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

WOW

So how do you use a PC Meat Pie and where in the world are you ?

• Aztec
    Aztec

It's funny, this story reminded me of growing up in rural Northern Michigan. We had electricity but only well water. If a pipe froze, no water. We had a big pot bellied stove in the living room that was the main source of heat. We would sometimes use space heaters on really cold nights. It wasn't until the mid eighties, when we moved to a real city, that I discovered what a furnace and city water were like. The last time I visited the small town I grew up in they had a stoplight, 2 gas stations and a Taco Bell. Seems like they're slowing entering the 21st century..LOL!

~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit